Buy blanks or cut your own ? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Buy blanks or cut your own ?

I am looking for some African blackwood and desert ironwood blanks. Is it better/cheaper to buy the larger pieces and cut them your self or just buy the pre-cut blanks? And what is a good source for these two woods?

Thanks
mrmartyking is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

i like to cut block wood then re-saw my pens blanks. i would check wood craft they may have 2inx2inch by 18 in long blocks or something like that.
zdann64 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Desert Ironwood is very hard. It's one wood I'd buy pre-cut so I wouldn't break any blades. African Blackwood doesn't come in very big sections. Some Blackwood pen blanks on Ebay seem reasonable enough. The last ones I seen were sold in packs of 5.

keithkarl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Depends. In my area, it is cheaper to buy African Blackwood pen blanks than to cut from larger stock. Purpleheart and Redheart are the opposite here.
Check local prices and see what makes sense.
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
....Exposing the beauty that God weaves into wood
bradh is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 47

You can purchase blanks in all kinds of species from catalog sources and some might be very nice.... Most will be somewhat plain. By far the best method,IMO, is purchasing from sources (like the vendors here) that show actual photos of the blanks you will receive.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 157

Rough cut wood is always going to be cheaper to buy if you look at the cost of a blank opposed to plank when looking at board feet. All depends on when you need it and how much of it. I've found really good deals on that auction site and just cut my own blanks or strips for segmenting.

Good luck in whatever you choose

IAP Gallery: http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?c=1&u=11247
Artsite Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/twise/
wiset1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 25

I am fortunate enough to live just a couple of blocks from Woodworker's Source here in Phoenix. They carry just about every exotic wood you can think of, and are willing to cut small pieces off a plank of, say, jatoba, or zebrawood, etc. I bought 6" of 8/4 zebrawood the other day to make some wide napkin rings. I buy purpleheart, padouk, etc all the time and cut it into pen blanks. They also have bowl blanks and turning squares, but it is cheapest to just find a board that has some fancy grain near one end and have them cut it off for me. I got some spectacular hickory that way once.

Sharon

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Boards will, nearly always, be cheaper.

So, if you can find a board with excellent grain that will convert to pen blanks with no waste--you got a winner!!

However, straight grained pens are "run of the mill". You want to make "showpiece pens", you need to get burls or wild grain of some sort. With those you will have a LARGE amount of waste. If you buy pen blanks--you have a much better idea of what the pen will look like----sometimes you will still be fooled, but not as often as buying a "chunk" and guessing what the middle will yield. Also, unfortunately, I have never been able to buy a burl that was exactly 4.5-5", so I could get blanks without waste.

IF you are just making "gift pens for the family", straight grain may be fine for you and a board can be a cost-effective purchase.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies View Post
Boards will, nearly always, be cheaper.

So, if you can find a board with excellent grain that will convert to pen blanks with no waste--you got a winner!!

However, straight grained pens are "run of the mill". You want to make "showpiece pens", you need to get burls or wild grain of some sort. With those you will have a LARGE amount of waste. If you buy pen blanks--you have a much better idea of what the pen will look like----sometimes you will still be fooled, but not as often as buying a "chunk" and guessing what the middle will yield. Also, unfortunately, I have never been able to buy a burl that was exactly 4.5-5", so I could get blanks without waste.

IF you are just making "gift pens for the family", straight grain may be fine for you and a board can be a cost-effective purchase.
Unless you happen to have 50 mulberry crowns in your back yard! Then you can get all the burly wild grain you want . I don't know what I am going to do with all this stuff. I have cut up two of these crowns and I have several hundred blanks. Now what do I do with the other 48 crowns? I can't BEAR the idea of him taking them to the dump. I think I'll load them in the back of my truck and head across country like Johnny Appleseed, strewing them along the way at every penturner I can find!

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Unless you happen to have 50 mulberry crowns in your back yard! Then you can get all the burly wild grain you want . I don't know what I am going to do with all this stuff. I have cut up two of these crowns and I have several hundred blanks. Now what do I do with the other 48 crowns? I can't BEAR the idea of him taking them to the dump. I think I'll load them in the back of my truck and head across country like Johnny Appleseed, strewing them along the way at every penturner I can find!
Head up north towards British Columbia....
r1237h is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads