Button Click Sierra - Nice, but . . . . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dachshund1

Gang:

Having just completed my first Button Click Sierra, I have a question: The click mechanism appears to be permanently "locked" in the depressed position. Is there a trick to remedying or avoiding this?

I followed the instructions to a tee, and was careful to exert no pressure on the clicker when pressing it into the tube, so it's not been damaged in any way. (I fashioned a jig from scrap wood similar to the one shown in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWtGikWXmzo).

It's a quality kit from a reputable dealer, and the mechanism was in this same state right out of the package. However, since I've never put one of these together before (and also remain a relative newbie), I paid it no mind – and figured it would "correct" itself once assembled.

For what it's worth, the pen turned out nicely (see image) - aside from the obvious issue.

Any thoughts on this? Have I failed to do something properly - or it is possible it's just a bad clicker mechanism?

I'd welcome any input.

In advance, thanks a bunch!

Terry

Attachments

• Sierra Button Click 1.jpg
    Sierra Button Click 1.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 298
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

At one time there was a problem with the hole in the nib section having build up of plating and it did not allow the refill to operate freely. May want to check that also. To remedy you need to drill the hole a bit larger but be careful not to chip the outside plating or send it back for replacement.

dachshund1

At one time there was a problem with the hole in the nib section having build up of plating and it did not allow the refill to operate freely. May want to check that also. To remedy you need to drill the hole a bit larger but be careful not to chip the outside plating or send it back for replacement.

Thanks for the input, John, but the nib end appears to be correctly sized; the refill moves up and down freely. The click mechanism, on the other hand, remains frozen.

Terry

Wildman

I would take pen a part and reassemble and try clicker again and see if that helps.

Hard to say if you failed or ran into a bad clicker mechanism.

Have made lot of click pens and know have to press straight with absolutely no pressure at all on the click mechanism.

Haven't made that style of sierra click style but made a bunch of the bigger sierra's that took a silver spacer. Don't thing they sell that kit anymore.

Good luck with it!

KenV

If you try to disassemble a Sierra click with the conventional hammer and transfer punch you will destroy the assembly. Been there and done that. Tee shirt is not available.

I now pack a wad of paper towel into the barrel and carefully push it up into the clicker mechanism. A tight fitting transfer punch can then be tapped into the wad of towleling and 9 of 10 times I can recover the mechanism in reusable condition.

But before doing that, use a dowel about the size of a Parker refill to see if you can manipulate the clicker mechanism and get it to move.

Hello Dachshund,

some times the refill is bent or the pen parts are not in line.
Most time it will help to open up the hole in the nip part a little.

btw. one of my friends in the US has a Dachshound named Gerhard,

I have a male cat named Jim (Heusinger)

regards
Gerhard

mecompco

I've done a few of these--I really like the looks, but I think the click action is a little "mushy". As already mentioned, sometimes the inside of the nib will have a little burr or roughness. I wrap some 500 grit paper around the smallest punch I have and smooth it up a bit. The other thing I've noticed is that the spring seems to be would a bit tighter on one end. I find that making sure the tighter end is on refill seems to make the action smoother. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael

flyitfast

Hello Dachshund,

regards
Gerhard

I used to work for a hardware distributor - Heusinger Hardware. Great company. But then, I digress!!!!

Dachshund, I had a similar problem with the PSI kit Compson. I assembled by their instructions. Never did work. Found instructions for the pen by a different vendor and they worked!!
I don't know the answer to your situation but you never know. :confused:
Gordon

dachshund1

the refill moves up and down freely. The click mechanism, on the other hand, remains frozen.

Terry

Is the spring installed on the refill? The refill shouldn't move up and down freely while assembled, even if it has a faulty click mechanism.

Thanks for the input, PT.

Yes, the spring was on the refill and functional. However, because the click mechanism was permanently in the "down" position, the refill tip remained fully extended (it did not freely move up or down).

I've come to the conclusion I either got a bad clicker or, despite my efforts to the contrary, I somehow either misaligned or inadvertently put pressure on the mechanism during installation.

Terry

dachshund1

If you try to disassemble a Sierra click with the conventional hammer and transfer punch you will destroy the assembly. Been there and done that. Tee shirt is not available.

I now pack a wad of paper towel into the barrel and carefully push it up into the clicker mechanism. A tight fitting transfer punch can then be tapped into the wad of towleling and 9 of 10 times I can recover the mechanism in reusable condition.

But before doing that, use a dowel about the size of a Parker refill to see if you can manipulate the clicker mechanism and get it to move.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ken.

I tried about everything I knew to gently get the mechanism to function, with no success. Frustrated, I finally focused my efforts on salvaging the blank - which I was able to do.

Had I learned of your "paper towel" technique before resorting to "less delicate methods," I might have been able to troubleshoot and reassemble the pen. As it stands, I'm now minus a top and a click mechanism.

I'm just chalking this one up to experience. I refuse to let a hobby ruin my day. :wink:

Thanks again.

Terry

dachshund1

I've done a few of these--I really like the looks, but I think the click action is a little "mushy". As already mentioned, sometimes the inside of the nib will have a little burr or roughness. I wrap some 500 grit paper around the smallest punch I have and smooth it up a bit. The other thing I've noticed is that the spring seems to be would a bit tighter on one end. I find that making sure the tighter end is on refill seems to make the action smoother. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael

Thanks for responding, Michael.

From what I could tell, the fit and finish of the kit (including the nib) was top-notch. I don't believe the spring was implicated in this particular instance, but I now plan to pay greater attention to how I install them.

You know, I've got a kitchen "junk" drawer full of cheap click pens - some being 15-20 years old. Aside from the cheap refills drying out, I can't ever recall one failing to work. Based on this, you'd think the higher-end kits would offer even more seamless functionality. It hardly strikes me as new technology. Oh, well.

Terry

dachshund1

Hello Dachshund,

regards
Gerhard

I used to work for a hardware distributor - Heusinger Hardware. Great company. But then, I digress!!!!

Dachshund, I had a similar problem with the PSI kit Compson. I assembled by their instructions. Never did work. Found instructions for the pen by a different vendor and they worked!!
I don't know the answer to your situation but you never know. :confused:
Gordon

Thanks for your input, Gordon.

This single experience hasn't soured me on button click pens, but it has made me more prone to checking functionality and "dry fitting" before final assembly - something I've never felt the need to do with twist pens.

Terry

Wct3

Thanks for responding, Michael. From what I could tell, the fit and finish of the kit (including the nib) was top-notch. I don't believe the spring was implicated in this particular instance, but I now plan to pay greater attention to how I install them. You know, I've got a kitchen "junk" drawer full of cheap click pens - some being 15-20 years old. Aside from the cheap refills drying out, I can't ever recall one failing to work. Based on this, you'd think the higher-end kits would offer even more seamless functionality. It hardly strikes me as new technology. Oh, well. Terry
isn't that thetruth!!

Top Bottom