Butternut Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgerwin11

I purchased some butternut pen blanks, since butternut is a species of hickory. I had turned a nice slimline set from an old tool handle and liked the way it looked. My problem is I keep having blowouts when I try to use it for something very thin like a slim or Gatsby. It did nicely on a cigar A\and a long clicker. Is this common? would it be possible to turn it to a certain point and finish the final sizing with some 80 grit sandpaper? Or just use it where a thicker blank is called for?

AultMan

I go straight to sand paper as soon as it is round when I have a difficult piece. But you can very easily get out of round if you aren't careful.

Have you tried a skew chisel? If so, how do you use it? Cutting edge parallel or perpendicular? Try holding the cutting edge perpendicular to the mandrel. Angle the edge very slightly and then push it along the length of the wood. Imagine you are trying to use the edge of the skew like you would a knife taking a long shaving off.

This allows the skew to slice rather than scrape. Scrape=lots of stress=blow out.

ctubbs

Douglas, there is nothing wrong with using the ol' 80 grit skew. I apply a thin strip to a piece of flat wood with contact cement and then using VERY light pressure, apply it to the rounded blank. Too much pressure on the 80 grit skew will give an out of round blank. You might also try an occasional soak in thin CA to act as a stabilizer. Sometimes this works to help reduce blowouts and lifted chunks. As always, YMMV. Best of luck with your turning. Stay tuned for all the other bits of wisdom and sage advice.
Charles

Top Bottom