Busy 2014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

In august 2013 I was contacted to do a job for a company. In December 2013 we closed on the contract. It is for 500 pens plus any additional pens that I could get out of the material. Normal I do not do wooden pens, but this account because of the history could not turn down. Wooden oak floor about 100 years old with a history. Right now I could not disclose the company or where the floor is from. I am hoping that when the project is done I can disclose project in detail.

Here are some pics. The flooring before it was cut up. And the remain 203 blanks that I finished drill yesterday. Note the blanks were sent out to be stabilized before drilling.

I also pickup up a 125 pen order. The 125 pen order due in two weeks. the above order due in 7 weeks.

Attachments

• asis.jpg
    asis.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 273
  • drill2.jpg
    drill2.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 304
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

625 + pens in 7 weeks??? I am hoping you have help and they are all single barrels...after I post this I'm going to go back and reread this one:confused::confused:

Last edited:

PenMan1

I don't see how you do it. The biggest order of "all the sames" I had was just under 100.

When it was over, I was ready for a straight jacket. That was too much like working on an assembly line.

Congratulations, I guess.

ashaw

They are all single barrels. I have timed it out and was able to turn 50/day. For 3 days and 2 days for ca finish on fifty pens. Then to my engraver and 5 more coats of ca. I have until end of April but more work is coming in. It took 1 day to do all the mill work. 2 days for drilling. Yes it is like an assembly line. I set my shop up for large batches.

Ambidex

I stand corrected..awesome order and great setup to do that kind of volume..my biggest order ever was 100 of the woodcraft bullets with camo and I thought about quitting pen-turning after that one:wink:..good luck and show some more of the finished pics?:cool:

JohnU

Congrats! I wouldn't mind the drilling and turning, but that's a lot of CA fumes in such a short time. I probably wouldn't remember anything after that. lol

raar25

I was thinking you were a lucky man until I saw you were doing a CA finish. Good luck and let us know when you are ready to sell your tools because you cant stand to look at them any more. Seriously congrats

KBs Pensnmore

Congrats on the order. I did 110 pens (modified slim lines) CA finish just before Christmas 2011. In the last 2 years I did about 20, couldn't stand the sight of pens for a while, plus the sinus play up every time it smells CA.:mad:
Kryn

paintspill

i have a quote out on a big order, (not nearly that big) and i kinda hope i don't get it. but it too has huge historical factor. so couldn't turn it away. good luck. can't wait to see a finished picture.

ps. cover your motorcycle.

penmaker1967

the order that i am cworking on now is also has a historical factor to it it is a hite oak tree over 200 years old that was at tangle wod park in w/s nc they are getting the tree cut into boards and was told they would be back in touch with me around mid feb the order is for 100 plus pens and 24 pen/letter opener sets should be a good payday when it is done. congs on your big order

ttpenman

Nice order but I hope you retain your sanity. I did about 125 once, Classic American Screw Caps. The first 3rd was great, the next 3rd was not so great and the last 3rd was torture. Nice money but it was rough. I was working full time back then so it was all nights & weekends. Don't think I could do it any more, even though I've gotten much better at turning.

Good Luck!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

ashaw

Thanks guys no duplicator on this order. I am looking at a new lathe in the future that can triple the turn output. But still need to polish by hand. No new shop yet but maybe in the new future.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
WOW! I aim for 1-2 good pens a week (Just a hobby, and I'm slow).

As the above posts say... Great for you (I hope :)).

Happy turning.

Top Bottom