bushings sticking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hazard

Another issue:

I have been turning a few cigar pens from csusa. I am having problems removing the bushings from the tubes after finishing. I use a CA/BLO finish and then a friction polish. On the first 5 pens that I turned I was able to remove the bushing without problems but on the last two it has been very difficult. It is like the ca is getting under the tube. I end up loosing them up with pliers on each end. They are really stuck. I have one that I have to use a punch to remove it from the tube.

I was making a bloodwood cigar pen last night and when removing the bushings I accidently moved the pliers and scratched one end of the blank. Wow did the blood pressure go thru the roof. This morning I ordered another set of bushing so I can toss the current bushings at something or beat them with a hammer. I think CSUSA is really starting to like me. 3 orders in 3 weeks.

A question I have is do any of you clean your bushings to remove CA and what do you use.

Thanks
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I made Delrin dead center like pieces that fit in my Beall and my live jacobs chuck. No bushings needed. Short of that you can get yourself a dead center and mount your blank between your dead center and live center WITHOUT bushings. I used to do it that way but got tired of cleaning my centers,hence the Delrin.

gwilki

Chris

Soak your bushings in acetone. It will completely remove the CA glue. I wax mine with paraffin stick and it stops the CA from gluing the blank to the bushing.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Chris,

There are several posts on the mandrel-less (no mandrel) method for finishing and you do not have to worry about stuck bushings. Since I started using this in early July and have not finished a single pen with the bushings on. And therefore no problem with sticking bushings or chipped finish on ends of oily blanks.

louisbry

As several posters said....clean and wax. Also I loosen the thumb screw and check to see if the bushings are stuck after every two coats of CA. I imagine that the the mandrel-less (no mandrel) method for finishing is the optimum solution though.

hazard

I was thinking since I have two live centers that I could finish the blanks between them. I will try that and post later how it goes. Also I will clean the bushings

thanks for the help.

Chris

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by hazard
<br />I was thinking since I have two live centers that I could finish the blanks between them. I will try that and post later how it goes. Also I will clean the bushings

thanks for the help.

Chris

Use a live center on the tail stock and a dead or drive center on the head stock. Two "live centers" will not get you anywhere. [;)]

Firefyter-emt

Chris, you could indeed use the 2 live centers if you apply some tape to the "drive center" to tape the spinning part to the head. Not they best way, but it will work fine because there is no real drag on the blank, in fact I bet you might be able to get it to even spin the blank without the tape. [;)]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Chris, you could indeed use the 2 live centers if you apply some tape to the "drive center" to tape the spinning part to the head. Not they best way, but it will work fine because there is no real drag on the blank, in fact I bet you might be able to get it to even spin the blank without the tape. [;)]

Lee,

I am red faced here. Of course! Duh - for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom