Bushings & Measuring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

I need help with two matters related to bushings.

First, could someone lay out the steps for making my own bushings? I'm not certain of how to even begin making them.

Second, if I don't want to trust the supplier's bushings for getting a perfect fit between the blank and the kit; then, how do I go about using my digital caliper for measuring the blank so it fits properly? What exactly do I measure?

I know these are rookie questions, but it would really help if somebody could take the time to spell this out for me, step by step. Both of these topics would be vaulable tutorials for the IAP files. Thanks so much for helping!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Al,
<b>First Question:</b> <b>I have used corian, wood, and aluminum. Some use other materials like delrin. Here is what I do. I drill a pice of material to fit my mandrel (a brass tube could be glued in but it is not needed). I cut pieces to the correct length for a bushing and mount them on the mandrel with slimline bushings between the pieces. I then turn one end to the size needed to fit inside the kit tube and turn the other end to match the diameter of the pen parts. They look just like the bushings we purchase from our suppliers. Others may have different ways. A 1/4 inch parting tool works really well.</b>

<b>Second Question:</b><b>Use the bushings for reference only. Turn the blanks close to the bushing diameter. Measure the pen kit parts that mate with the blanks and turn the blanks to that dimension, but you must make allowances for your finish thickness. If making a slimline the large end of the nib would be the diameter to turn the lower end of the lower barrel. The CB (kit supplies or homemade) would be the diameter to turn the two middle ends of both blanks and the finial diameter would be the diameter to turn the upper end of the top blank.</b>

<b>I actually mike each part of each kit. I don't assume that two barons, for example, will have the same size parts. There are two other threads that may come in handy to help answer your second question. Both are in the penturning forum. One is "Bushings and their interchangeability"at http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15680 and the other is "Dimensions and Tolerances" at http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15757
Do a good turn daily!
Don</b>

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />I need help with two matters related to bushings.

First, could someone lay out the steps for making my own bushings? I don't have a clue to do make them.

Second, if I don't want to trust the supplier's bushings for getting a perfect fit between the blank and the kit; then, how do I go about using my digital caliper for measuring the blank so it fits properly? What exactly do I measure?

I know these are rookie questions, but it would really help if somebody could take the time to spell this out for me, step by step. Both of these topics would be vaulable tutorials for the IAP files. Thanks so much for helping!

its_virgil

Al,
Al and the rest who are interested, I just finished a tutorial(pdf file) with pictures[:D] on how I make bushings. I will send it to Jeff for the library, but anyone who wants it immediately can email me and I'll send it to you.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />I need help with two matters related to bushings.

First, could someone lay out the steps for making my own bushings? I'm not certain of how to even begin making them.

DocStram

Don,
Thanks for taking the time to lay it out for me. The tutorial is going to be a big help, especially to new penturners.
I sent a pm asking for a copy of the tutorial.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom