Bushings..Do we really need them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhallnc

Why do those of you that TBC use bushings at all other than getting close? Why not turn and finish with just 60 deg. centers?

Have I inhaled too many ca fumes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The outward pressure from the 60 degree center can crack your blanks' ends before you even finish turning them.
DAMHIKT

keithkarl2007

If you apply too much pressure on the tubes without the bushings you run the risk of swelling the tube a little and depending on the material on the tube could cause it to crack at the ends. If they don't crack you could end up with loose fitting components, the cap, the nib pretty much all parts.

el_d

I TBC but dont use Bushings. Id love to get some but all my work is done with calipers, and 60deg centers.

It can be done CAREFULLY :wink:

KenV

Darryl -- I have busted a few with getting a bit fast. I also use regular bushings with the dead center/live center and there are some risks with that -

Highest to lowest risk

Turning with the centers in the tubes (need to be careful and use a light touch) - turning between centers to round the blanks is a good practice.

Turning with the dead and live centers in regular bushings --- these may not fit as nicely and missed alitnments can happen --- recommended to check bushings carefully as these are thru bored and do not have tapered ends to match the 60 degree centers.

Turning with bushings that have been machined with 60 degree tapers to match the centers. These cost a bit more, and I use them for some pens (generally specialty or higher end pens.

So --- I have done all three -- you pay your money for the TBC bushings or you takes your chances for skill to overcome the risks.

for example, I turn Panache pens with regular bushings between centers and never have a problem.

el_d

When I first started I did come across the flared ends. As I gained experience I learned to use a lighter touch on the tail-stock and I DON'T lock down the crank with the screw lock.(sorry about the technical labels)

I will tube my square blanks and place them between 60deg Centers, slowly creeping the tailstock up on the blank till it gives a little resistance. I dont lock down the tail screw because I make adjustments as Im turning. I grab my WOODCHUCK (Helps ALOT) and use it it to rough out the blank and make it round. actually I use it all the way till the end.:biggrin:
As I rough out the blank I do get a some "slipping", all I do is tighten the tail crank about 1/4 of a turn and try it out. I turn at mid speed (not sure about the speed, center). I know the woodchuck helps with that sharp carbide end, and if I get too aggressive the blank will stall. I have cut down on my blowouts though....

I would like to get bushings for TBC because the calipers are a pain going back and forth, Turning on and off the machine. I just need to save the funds for them.

rherrell

I make my own bushings but I make them about .020" undersize. I use the bushings to keep equal pressure on the ends and to keep from damaging the soft brass tube, not for sizing. I size everything with calipers.:wink:

toddlajoie

I use bushings just for getting close to size quickly, and I only have them for kits I make often. For me, one of the advantages of TBC is you can use the technique to make ANY pen without the need to buy the bushings. This is great for making a couple of an unusual style or trying out a kit that you're not sure you're going to want to keep doing...

I have had some flaring on the inside ends of the tubes, but it has not affected the pens that I could tell, as it is only just the very end of the tube... I do all my final sanding and finishing without bushings.

dhallnc

I make my own bushings but I make them about .020" undersize. I use the bushings to keep equal pressure on the ends and to keep from damaging the soft brass tube, not for sizing. I size everything with calipers.:wink:

Rick, what do you make your bushings out of and where do you get the material?

Do you turn them on the wood lathe?

Thanks.

rherrell

I make them from W-1 tool steel, it's sold as "Drill Rod" and I get it from Enco.

Even if I could turn them on a wood lathe I wouldn't, you need them to be precise and you can't get that level of precision using hand held tools.:wink:

And NO, I don't make them for sale. Quite frankly the little things are a PITA to make so if you want to buy some get them from Johnnycnc, he makes some nice ones and he can make them for ALOT less money than I could.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Rolland

I have to qualify this by saying that I have just started out pen turning so much is new to me. I have read everything in the library and learned a great deal. Having noted that when applying ca for a finish its best not to glue the bushing to the work:rolleyes: so I made some new bushing from 1/2 inch Delrin rod.
I reamed the center to .248 for a tight fit and cut the outside to the id of the tube. then while on the mandrel cut a bevel on one end. They seem to work and are easy to cut. I am a machinist first and pen turner last, I like to make my own tools and fixtures when possible.
This is most likely not a new idea to those that have been turning for a while but did solve one problem for me.

Attachments

• 100_1109.JPG
    100_1109.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_1110.JPG
    100_1110.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom