Bushings, anyone tried this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I can see where it would be easy to make your own slim line bushings, but I was thinking of something for bushings for larger pens like the cigar.
Has anyone turned a "sacrificial" shim to go between the bushing and the blank?It would slide over the "sleeve" part of the bushing that inserts into the tube.
Approximate thickness would be about1/8th thick,maybe thinner.
Material would be"plastic "breadboard" so the CA wouldn't stick.
The Dia of the "shim" would be the size of teh bushings dia.
The shim would be "sacrificial" for final shaping ,sanding thus "saving" the bushings.

I will play with this today as I have come to realize I have worn my cigar bushings but need to make some of those pens fast but it will take a couple of days for the bushings to get here.
I don't want to waste my time if it doesn't work,don't want to reinvent the wheel if it does.
Any insight appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dominic Greco

You know, I think your on to something here.

How about a small piece of UHMV? I think that CA glue won't stick to that. Of maybe go the other way. Low tech, I mean. How making a shim out of wax paper? Sort of like a wax paper washer that is punched out the same diameter (or slightly bigger) than the bushing.

Just some thoughts......

PenWorks

Eagle, I can't help you on making the bushings, but when you get your new ones, use those just for cutting and the old ones for sanding & finishing. This way, your cutting set will allways stay true. Anthony

Fred in NC

Best material would be UHMW.

Bushings for larger diameters can be made with a 7mm tube and wood. Start like you would for a pen barrel, and turn to outside diameter. Then cut a tenon to fit inside the tube you will be using. Put sealer on, and wax.

wayneis

Eagle the only thing that I can think to be careful of is not to use to thick piece of whatever you use. You need to have as much as that bushing tenon that goes inside the tube left. If you don't have enough tenon to go inside the tube you will end up turning the blank out of round.

Fred thats a lot of work for something that is sacrificial.

Wayne

its_virgil

Consider using the bushings as guidelines only. I use a digital calliper to mic the size of the wood next to the bushings. I mic them to the size of the metal parts that will mate to the ends of the blank for each kit I make. That way I get the best fit possible, since each pen is fitted to its kit parts and not sized to a bushing. I have found bushings to be the wrong size when they were new, both too large and small...sometimes the whole set is miss identified, or one or more of the bushings is miss identified. I would put a calliper on my Christmas list if I didn't have one (a calliper). Callipers and other measuring devices for turners are some of our most important turning tools.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />I can see where it would be easy to make your own slim line bushings, but I was thinking of something for bushings for larger pens like the cigar.
Has anyone turned a "sacrificial" shim to go between the bushing and the blank?It would slide over the "sleeve" part of the bushing that inserts into the tube.
Approximate thickness would be about1/8th thick,maybe thinner.
Material would be"plastic "breadboard" so the CA wouldn't stick.
The Dia of the "shim" would be the size of teh bushings dia.
The shim would be "sacrificial" for final shaping ,sanding thus "saving" the bushings.

I will play with this today as I have come to realize I have worn my cigar bushings but need to make some of those pens fast but it will take a couple of days for the bushings to get here.
I don't want to waste my time if it doesn't work,don't want to reinvent the wheel if it does.
Any insight appreciated.

dougle40

I agree with Don on this one . I never rely on the bushings for a final size just for a rough sizing . I use both a digital vernier and/or a micrometer to get to the finished size . On parts like bands I'll even measure the actual band because I have found slight variations in their sizes which could affect the outcome.

Randy_

I've made a few bushings when the need arose; but use Corian scraps from the Freedom Pen project rather than wood. I believe they are a bit more stable as to size. If you are looking for the most accurate solution, use a mic or vernier as suggested above. It is quick and accurate and you won't screw, up a job because a bushing or part was a little "off." I saw a decent mic at the hardware store just yesterday for $25 and if your eyes are a bit tired like mine, you can get a digital vernier for about the same price from PSI. these are not tools that you would find at a NASA machine shop, but are more than accurate enough for turning pens.

If you are patient, try eBay. I found a very nice, slightly used vernier(non-digital) for $12+$3 for shipping!!

Fred in NC

Randy, I use calipers all the time. Dial, digital, and an old manual one that I can preset to a diameter to check the barrels as I go. Harbor Freight has good ones at reasonable prices.

jkirkb94

Once you get in some new ones and you seem to be frequently cutting into the bushings, why not try some duct tape as a partial protector. Easily replaced. This would work better with sanding I believe, than with a tool. I know it would best to just be careful when we get near the bushing but....(you see how I used "we").[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom