Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OutofTurnSam

Like I've said, I'm a novice with no clue what I'm doing.

Anyways, I've been googling like mad trying to find out what supplies I'll need to get started and what things I'll need once I know what I'm doing etc. One thing that keeps coming up is Bushings. And as much as I've read, I cannot find a single website (not even wikiepdia!) that will tell me the function of a bushing in regards to pen turning. Even the pictures I've looked at will not tell me where they are suppose to go or what they are for. It's like the industry has just deicided if you don't know what a bushing is then you have no business turning your own pens!

So, what are they for?

And more importantly, do I have to buy a new set of bushings every time I make a pen? Or is this a one time purchase per style of pen I'll be crafting? (1 for slimline, 1 for cigar, 1 for big ben etc)

Thanks for your help! I feel so silly for asking this >.>

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

srf1114

Bushing are small usally metal tubes that are the approximate size of the particular pen style they represent. You place them on the mandral along with your pen blank and turn the pen blank material down to match the size of the bushing.

this gets you real close to the final size for your pen, but most people will use a micrometer, to verify the final sizes.

Bushing are consumables, in that you should expect to replace them occasionally. Certainly not with every new pen of the same kit.

You will need to purchase a set of bushing for each difffernt type of pen kit you try to do. You should think of a way of organizing these to keep them seperate as well.

there are many advanced answers for your question, but these should help you get started.

PenMan1

The first answer you recieved was a good answer. Perhaps, something that will make this easier for you is to go to one of these sources.
http://www.pennstateind.com
http://www.woodcraft.com
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com

Find the pen kit that you want to make (I recommend the slimline) AND then download AND PRINT the instructions for the kit that you want to make. Read these instructions COMPLETELY 3 times, then jot down your questions about each step.

IMHO, Woodcraft has the most complete instructions that not only tells you the bushing part number that you need, but how to place them and a "cookbook" approach to making the pen.

As for starting materials, you will need at a minimum, a drill bit correctly sized for the pen you wish to make, some way to drill the hole in the pen blank, a way to put the hole down the center and keep it from turning,, a lathe, a small gouge chisel, a small skew chisel, a pen mandrel, bushings, a pen blank, and a hardware component set (pen kit)and lots and lots of glue and sandpaper. The instructions that you downloaded will help you answer many of these questions.

I also recommend watching the pen making videos on YouTube. There are serveral that are a great service to beginning turners.

As a last resort, PM me. I'll give you my toll free phone number and I'll be happy to help you get started. I LOVE helping new pen makers! The excitement that comes with the first completed pen goes above and beyond that of a child after Santa's visit.

Welcome aboard and GOOD LUCK.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Now about the longevity of bushings: If you are careful, you should get many, many uses out of one set of bushings. Unfortunately, each style of pen reqiures a different size and style of bushing.

OutofTurnSam

See I KNEW it was a silly question! Thanks so much for the answer though - I was kinda figuring along the same lines but I couldn't get any official source to confirm for me what they were (and that is very frustrating for someone like myself who loves things spelled out for her when starting something new!).

My lathe is on the way here. I can't tell you much about it because my dad helped me pick it out. And since he is the one with the wood shop - I trust him! He also has a drillpress and should be able to rig me up a jig no problem for putting my holes in my blanks. We've also been talking about getting a starter kit that comes with the glue, finish, sandpaper, mandrel, and 30 pen kits (bushings included!) as well as drill bits, HSS chisels and some other stuff. I'll have to talk to him a little more, but I think that will be the best bet for us. Especially if he or my mom ever decide to play with my new toy when I'm not visiting!

Ok, so I'm not a complete novice in the shop. I do know what basic tools and termonology are. =)

Thanks again for the help!

biednick

I don't use actual bushings, but aluminum rod drilled out and turned to a cone. Fits any tube, and I use calipers anyways. Just have to be careful no to over tighten the knurled brass nut.

PenMan1

Thanks so much for the answer though - I was kinda figuring along the same lines but I couldn't get any official source to confirm for me what they were (and that is very frustrating for someone like myself who loves things spelled out for her when starting something new!).

See, that's why I love helping new turners! I've been called a lot of things....but NEVER an official source:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. I kinda like it! And seriously, if you get stuck and just need someone to "hold your hand" while you jump off the bridge into this addiction, PM me. I'll give you the toll free number and help any way that I can.

One good turn deserves another!

PenMan1

And by the way, Sam.....There are NO SILLY QUESTIONS on the IAP. For each problem that you encounter, you will like get AT LEAST 20 different GOOD ways to solve your delima.

If America, my place of birth and the country that I love most, ever finds itself in grave circumstances, the IAP would be my FIRST call to solve the problems. A geat bunch of talented and EXPERIENCED people here.

PenMan1

Sam, there are no "dumb" questions either, except the ones you don't ask!:biggrin:

Dumb answers are "another thing":biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.....You job is to figure out which ones are the dumb answers. You'll do fine here, might even learn something. Boy, I sure did!

Top Bottom