Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fitzman163

Middletown,PA via The Coal Region,Pittston, PA, US
I know this was discussed in the past. Bushings that CA won't stick to (What type of bushings and who makes them). I made a nice pen and put a CA finish on when I looked close at the pen I had 2 little chips on the ends. I didn't know what caused it until last night when using the same bushings i saw to little chips of wood glued to the bushings.Need I say more. Just getting the hang of this finish don't want to stop using it now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Last edited:

mickr

when you get to finishing, why use bushings at all? Between centers and no bushings..

leehljp

Member Liaison
Jim,

Seriously consider Turning Between Centers and taking the bushings off for finishing. It was the chipping and particularly "lifting" on oily blanks that drove me to TBC/Mandrel-less. I wouldn't go back to "finishing with bushings on" for anything now.

Delrins will help but you will just have layers built up on the delrin bushings, which in the end will still cause some of the problems unless extra steps/cautions are taken to prevent it.

nate peel

A very light touch with a very sharp skew will also work to seperate blanks from bushings without the chipping problem. It can however shorten the life of your bushings

johnnycnc

What do I need to do between centers?

You will need a 60° dead center for the headstock and 60° live center
for your tailstock. 60° is an industry standard on such things.
Oh, and some bushings are helpful!:biggrin:
I have little to no luck in NOT using bushings between centers.
There is simply not enough drive surface on the tiny contact area of the inside edge of the tube to do much turning without things slipping, in my experience.

dustmaker

I use Johnnycnc's Eliminator 805 set for finishing. I am not ready for Mandrel-less just yet (will get there though), so this was a good stop gap solution for me. It is the second link in Johnny's first post. I bought two sets and for most pens I can finish both blanks in one pass. Since the delrin angles in like a center there is little to no chance of sticking especially with larger tubes. When the CA does eventually build up, I clean it off with a skew. Easy peasy.

Top Bottom