Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

I keep my bushings stored in a plastic box with each compartment labled with the type of bushing and what company i bought it from. Now, if that box were to fall [:0], how would I know exactly what bushing would go with what pen kit? It hasn't happened yet, but....The thought scares the hell out of me!
How does everyone else store and label their bushings?
Thanks
Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Mine are in one of those multi-drawer storage things. Kits and bushings are in same drawer. Do not label by source, might be a good idea though considering how different suppliers have different ideas of what 7mm measures. Outside of drawers are labeled with sizes of drill bits required for that kit.

Dario

I keep mine in their respective plastic bags and keep them all in a plastic tackle box which I bought from Walmart. They occupy their own small cubicle. I always make a concious effort to close the tackle box after getting (or returning) a bushing set. This practice might help prevent accidental spillage and getting them all mixed up [B)].

JHFerrell

I keep mine in plastic prescription bottles that are labeled with manufacturer and kit name, bushing number etc etc. That way I don't have to worry about dropping a box full and getting them mixed up. I get mixed up easily enough as it is![:D]

pete00

hi gary

you'll get the professional answer soon, not that it ever happend to me..[:D]
I have one plastic box with compartments for each vendors kits.

AND i keep everything in little plastic bags labeled as to what kit it goes to.
you'll have plenty extra bags from all the kits you buy.

Also check out the home page on the bottom, Dainels giant pen kit list.

pete

clewless

I found mini tupperware-like containers at A. C. Moore crafts @ .19 each. and the containers fit into a plano parts box from Lowe's @ 4.99.

Moore also had little plastic bottles with flip lids like suntan lotion @ .50 They've had DNA, Sand/sealer and BLO in them for over a month with no deterioration...PLEASE LABEL BOTTLES THIS STUFF CAN KILL! I don't have any litte ones around but the neighborhood has a bunch.

I've also started a list of kits, drills and bushings...amazing how this stuff adds up in quantity and cost.(hide bills from the loving wife)

Have also started arranging kits in a long narrow box separated by vendor so I can find what I need more quickly.

punkinn

I've tried several approaches. What I'm doing right now is the bushings are in a (labeled) small plastic bag, which goes in a large ziploc that also has all the kits of that type pen. So if I want to do a Cigar from CSUSA, I grab that (labeled) ziploc which also has the instructions, all the kits of that type, and the bushings in it. It's not a perfect system, but it helps me keep the right bushings with the right kits.

Nancy

Mikey

I keep all my newer bushings in the bags they came in. The older ones were just in the plastic tray divided up. This really sucked since I knocked over the tray with all the bushings and bits last week. all my euro and American flat/round top bushings are mixed up now as well as anything else I have not bought from CSUSA in the last few months.

stilgar

I have a slotted shelf that is back from my lathe. The bushings are all in little bowls that I turned with room for me to write what is in each bowl. I pull them out one at a time and have not had a problem.

For spacers, to fill up the mandrel for shorter items, I use either old bushings or broken pen blanks. These are kept in their own bowl near the lathe.

GBusardo

"amazing how this stuff adds up in quantity and cost.(hide bills from the loving wife" You betcha [:)]
Thanks for all the replies, I am going to see what I have around the house and get organized. This maybe the first time in my life I do something BEFORE disaster strikes!
Thanks Again
Gary

I bought a plastic box thing from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. In the section where you find the beads they have a box, rectangular, about 10-12" long that has 5-6 compartments, transparent, each compartment has a lid that locks. To open you push a button on one end and then open the compartment you want to open. They can't pop open if you drop the box. I write the name of the pen, source and bushing part number on the lid. I cut the label off the plastic bag the busings come in and put it in the bottom of the box. I never open more than one compartment at a time.

You can imagine what a person that does bead work would go through if they dropped 6 different kinds of beads at the same time.

I have three of these boxes and it won't be long before I need the fourth one.

Draken

Go to HF and get this:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=90241&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=
It is a snap closing plastic storage container, but inside it there are 12 cylindrical containers with screw on lids. Label each one for a different bushing type, and there you go. If you drop the box, and it pops open, the lids on each of the inner containers keeps everything contained. I have two sets, so far only using one, and they work great. Sorry HF doesn't have a photo of them.

Draken

skewzdust

I keep mine in a plano box. For those of you that fish, you know what I mean. For those of you that don't it's one of those white plastic boxes with dividers and a hinged lid. I keep each set in a bag from a pen kit so they're individually marked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom