Bushing welded to mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bcoyne

Never had this problem before. I am using an adjustable mandrel. The bushing on headstock end is welding itself to the mandrel. Tried putting some wax on it to no luck. I pounded on the bushing with hammer and punch and it is solid. Suggesting what is causing it? Suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bob

Attachments

• Mandrel stuck.jpg
    Mandrel stuck.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 356
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

Try taking mandrel out of lathe, place vertical loosely in vise resting bushing on vise jaws, strike mandrel smartly with brass hammer. This should do the trick. When mandrel is without bushing, place mandrel in drill press and polish with 400 grit wet or dry paper

Ben

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree with Ben - Get the mandrel out of the headstock first, then your options are much better. It looks like the same adjustable mandrel as I have; perfectly fine. You should be able to smack the bushings off with some care.

KenV

Use ca glue or lacquer or other finishing product while bushings are in place??? A drip sucked into the gap can make it seem to be welded.

CREID

yea, I was thinking CA or something too. I don't see how it could be welded unless it was spinning for some reason and built up a tremendous amount of heat. Try a little acetone soak after you remove it from the headstock.

BeeAMaker

Been here - done this. :)

Some "grit" got under the bushing while sanding and polishing and welded the bushing to the mandrel - I had to cut it off with a Dremel and cutting disk. I cut a slot in it and used a screw driver to pry it off. Saved the Mandrel but not the bushing. (saved the blank too) Just one reason it is very important to square the blanks and make sure your mandrel is tight. ;) I think I hit the bushing with my tool also and stopped it on the mandrel for a split second.

I started to Turn between centers after that and never looked back.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Good excuse to buy a new mandrel. ;) If it is CA glue, heat it a bit and it should break loose. Works on tip guides on fishing rods. Grit- as mentioned. Best to clean the bushings inside and out after use each day. I tend to get CA on them and wipe them with acetone or carb cleaner at the end of the day.

More4dan

Happened to me several times too. I was able to unscrew the rod from the taper. Then put in the vise loosely and hammer the bushings loose. I now turn between centers and get much more accurate results. Faster too.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom