bushing sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

buster

I was wondering what is best to do. Should I turn the blanks down to the diameter of the bushings or turn the blanks down to the size it says on the instructions. Whenever I measure the bushing diameters they always differ from what is printed on the instructions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

ahhh.. the joys of pen making. :( I turn it down to the size of the bushing; then when putting it together; it looks WAY TO BIG so I tear the pen apart; put it back on and turn some more away. I'm wondering if one of those disasembly tools would be worth it??

Texatdurango

I measure the mating pen parts with calipers, jot down the measurements for quick reference then turn down and sand the blanks to those dimensions using the bushings as a reference only. I have found kits to vary by a few thousandths from bag to bag so learned not to wholeheartedly trust either the instructions or the bushings.

Chasper

HF sell some mostly plastic, blue and yellow calipers that only show one digit after the decimal. That isn't enough detail. They also sell some black and silver calipers that give you another digit plus a .5 and they are adequate and reasonable in price ($15 or so on sale).

randyrls

Originally posted by markgum

what calipers do you use. I looked at some from HF but wasn't sure if those would be precise enough.

I prefer a 4" digital caliper. You want the ones that read down to .0005" I have two so I can set one for the nib size and one for the cap size. HP has them on sale for about 12-15 dollars. The batteries in these will only last several weeks unless you remove the batteries when not is use.

Tip: Set the calipers on the fittings, and then press the "zero" button. Now put the calipers on the blank and you will see how much you have to remove for a perfect match with the fittings.

I ignore the bushing sizes. I just use them as clamps to spin the blank(s).

Randy_

I bought a HF dial caliper (no batteries required) in hardened SS that will measure in either Imperial or metric units to 0.0005" and cost me less than $30.

As to your original question, you need to measure the kit hardware.....measuring the bushings or believing the instructions won't always get you where you want to be and you need to measure every kit if you want to be spot on as there is, occasionally, some variation between kits of the same kind.

Randy_

Do be aware that the HF digital calipers have a rep for going through batteries very quickly. If this is a problem for you, consider a dial caliper or a different brand.

killer-beez

Originally posted by markgum

what calipers do you use. I looked at some from HF but wasn't sure if those would be precise enough.

I have 1 extra set of NEW digital calipers I would sell if you have'nt found anything yet. Let me know and I will send you pix and info.

markgum

HF had a sale yesterday so I picked up a digital set and a dial set. Tried the digital ones last night and WOW... the pen came out great. Thanks all for the advice.

sbell111

I've been using a HF 6" digital caliper for a while now and really like it. Enough so that I bought my wife the 4" one a few days ago.

I'm not sure why these items have gotten a reputation for eating batteries. I have had no problems. (This is almost a guarantee that my pair is going to be dead when I get home, huh?)

Top Bottom