Bushing Size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiefebuary

Can somebody clear up some confusion since I'm new at this? I always thought the bushing is what you put on the mandrel next to the pen blank so that you would have a guide showing how much wood to remove for the particular pen you're turning.

When I look at a catalog at the pen kits, they offer bushings for that particular pen kit. All the kits I'm looking at are the 7mm slimlines. If they all use 7mm tubes shouldn't they all use the same bushings also [?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Not necessarily. Many kits will have a 7mm tube but the nib, cb, and finial may be different sizes. Generally any slimline will use the same bushings. The best bet is to get an inexpensive set of calipers and measure the nib, cb, and finial each time you turn.

ctwxlvr

my limited experience is that bushings are a quick guide as to turning size, and to get an exact fit use calipers and make an allowance for the finish. I agree not all manufactures use the same sizes for the same name kits, for slimline I use the bushings as spacers and measure for size now. a good digital caliper runs about 30 dollars you can find some for less and some for a lot more, but get a good quality all metal one and you will be amazed at the results.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have this digital caliper http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47257 and you can get it at Harborfreight on sale right now for $15.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom