Bushing Size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joemac8

I haven't turned a pen in a few years and mainly forgot how. (Old age is such a daily thrill!). My son wants me to turn a Liberty pen kit for him. I have the kit and wood, but cannot find the size of the bushing it takes. Woodcraft lists it as item 154513.

I have several bushing sets and would hat to drive 20 miles to get a set I already have.

Can anyone help me with the Number and size of this bushing?

Thanks, Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Joe

The liberty uses the same bushings as the Sierra family

That pen is made by lazerlinz and is listed in the bushings and tubes tables in the library.

0.381/0.474 if memory is right.

mecompco

I haven't turned a pen in a few years and mainly forgot how. (Old age is such a daily thrill!). My son wants me to turn a Liberty pen kit for him. I have the kit and wood, but cannot find the size of the bushing it takes. Woodcraft lists it as item 154513.

I have several bushing sets and would hat to drive 20 miles to get a set I already have.

Can anyone help me with the Number and size of this bushing?

Thanks, Joe

According to the invaluable IAP Bushings app, the Liberty Twist BP bushings are .474 at both ends and the kit requires a 27/64 drill.

jcm71

The IAP app may be wrong. Liberty bushings are NOT .474 at each end. The finial bushing is larger than the nib bushing. Finial bushing is .488 and the nib is .464 by my calipers. Joe, check your component diameters , especially your finial, before you turn.

rholiday

From the Woodcraft site --
Liberty Pen & Pencil Kit instructions

5. Mandrel Preparation

[FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]This pen kit requires only two bushings (#154513 Liberty Bushings). The bushings are identical so placement is not critical. Slide one bushing on the mandrel with the lip of the bushing facing toward the tail stock, followed by the blank/tube assembly.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I don't know the real answer here, but I suspect that WC was simply reselling the Lazerlinez kits. WC no longer offers the Liberty, but archives of their Liberty web page describe it as being made of stainless steel and manufactured in the USA. The hardware in their photos & instructions look exactly like those in the photos at the Lazerlinez site.

WC offered the Liberty in both a pen and a pencil version while Lazerlinez only offers a pen. Could the WC version have been slightly different from the standard LL version? or did WC simply make a mistake with their description of the bushings in their instructions?

Unfortunately, neither LL nor WC have any bushing dimensions on their web pages or in the instructions.

If anyone can provide specific dimension info for both the WC and the LL Liberty bushings, please let me know so we can update the app & the charts.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mine is the WC version. I have the WC instructions but, as was pointed out, they give no dimensions.

If you have digital calipers, please check the dimensions of the nib & cap components where they meet up with the tubes. You should be able to tell real quick if they are the same size or different.

I'd appreciate it if you would let me know what dimensions you measure the WC kit to be.

Thanks
Edgar

Joemac8

After stirring up this question, I rooted through all of my pen parts and found a bushing bag marked "Liberty". The large diameter is .500 the smaller diameter is .387

Are these the figures that you needed? Would you like me to measure the kit as well?

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
After stirring up this question, I rooted through all of my pen parts and found a bushing bag marked "Liberty". The large diameter is .500 the smaller diameter is .387

Are these the figures that you needed? Would you like me to measure the kit as well?

Is the large diameter of both of your Liberty bushings the same?

Please do measure the kit as well - both for my information and for your own benefit as well. You want to be sure that the kit components actually do match up to the bushings.

Note that John (Burlman) measured the large ends of his Liberty bushings at 0.488 and 0.464

I'm curious to find out if WC had a special version of the Liberty or if they were selling the standard LL Liberty.

Joemac8

I checked both of my Liberty bushings. One is .500 and the other is .489. The kit itself shows .481 for the lower portion called the "front section". The upper part, or "clip assembly" shows .500. All parts were sourced from WC.

I hope this helps.

corgicoupe

Woodcraft makes size errors in their instructions for the Kojent kit.they show the barrel bushings to be different diameters, but the assembly instructions ignore this important fact. Get them reversed and both fittings will be "feelable". Where they meet the wood.

KenV

I dug out the set in the msc box. The are labeled 0.498 and 0.388

The measurement was with calipers and should be considered as plus/minus a couple thousands.

Sounds like an eratta to the bushing table.

Top Bottom