bushing replacement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

When do you guys get replacement bushings? I have turned around 150 pens and am wondering when do bushings wear enough to replace. I know they get worn down, with sanding, tool nicking, etc. At least I think they do. I have not had anything occur that indicates excessive wear but I don't want to wait to long.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

well my acid test is when the last pen turned came out to small at the fittings. You can also meaure them and set a variation that is the disposal point for you. I usually take a visual of the bushing compared to the nib and center band and try to adjust for any difference when turning. I have some pretty severly worn busings but still don't have a problem with keeping transitions smooth.

write-n-style

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Being you are supposed to use a set of calipers and the bushings only as a guide they can last for a good long time.

Wayne
Interesting statement as none of the pen makers instructions say to do this.

wayneis

Just ask any of the turners who do this on a regular basis. Also just keep making the kits to the size of the bushing and you'll see what I was talking about. There are a lot of things that the instructions don't refer to if you make pens long enough you'll find this out for yourself.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom