Bushing Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

erebus

After looking through JohnnyCNC's site I was suddenly struck by a question. Just what are normal bushings made of?

Thanks for the info :dog:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

After looking through JohnnyCNC's site I was suddenly struck by a question. Just what are normal bushings made of?

Thanks for the info :dog:

Seems to me to be the cheapest steel they can possibly find and then they sometimes put an even cheaper black oxide coating on them that somehow always ends up in your finish.

rjwolfe3

I agree with what Justin said. However, I think the bushings from CSUSA come without the black finish and seem to be made of a better steel. I plan on switching over to just John's custom bushings this next year.

Sometimes I wish I had a metal lathe but I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it if I did.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I used to complain about the occasional Off Center holes and many bushings will be OC by a small fraction if measured with calipers. However, the worst culprit, after using custom bushings, is realizing just how loose all of my commercially bought bushings are in the tube.

I have not seen anyone other than John mention this over the years. I have seen posts by many members (and some of those are PMG members) speak of Off Center bushings (and calling it OOR :wink: ), but I haven't seen the complaint of loose bushings. It is as though that (looseness) was an accepted standard. Bushings should slide in with a tight fit, - otherwise the play will allow wiggling under speed and pressure of the cut.

So, as a warning and a help: Check your bushings as you insert them into the tubes. Are they loose? Turn the tube vertical and place a bushing on top; Does it fall in with no resistance? Then it is probably too loose!

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I agree with what Justin said. However, I think the bushings from CSUSA come without the black finish and seem to be made of a better steel. I plan on switching over to just John's custom bushings this next year.

Sometimes I wish I had a metal lathe but I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it if I did.

I handle most of PSI's bushings and have never seen any with the black oxide which usually wears off for me when sanding

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I used to complain about the occasional Off Center holes and many bushings will be OC by a small fraction if measured with calipers. However, the worst culprit, after using custom bushings, is realizing just how loose all of my commercially bought bushings are in the tube.

I have not seen anyone other than John mention this over the years. I have seen posts by many members (and some of those are PMG members) speak of Off Center bushings (and calling it OOR :wink: ), but I haven't seen the complaint of loose bushings. It is as though that (looseness) was an accepted standard. Bushings should slide in with a tight fit, - otherwise the play will allow wiggling under speed and pressure of the cut.

So, as a warning and a help: Check your bushings as you insert them into the tubes. Are they loose? Turn the tube vertical and place a bushing on top; Does it fall in with no resistance? Then it is probably too loose!

You know, I have had the opposite problem as well, where I could hardly get the bushing into the tube...

Top Bottom