Bushing Life

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boz

Newbe question here. How many pens should you be able to get out of a set of bushings?
I just bought a new set for slimlines. I estimate that I made about 50 pens with the first set.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
At $5 a set, that's a dime a pen.
Pretty reasonable.

What you SHOULD get depends on how you turn and sand. The bushings would last forever if you never sanded them--but making pens would take a lot longer if you are going to be that careful.

There is no "right" answer--just recognize that you need to replace them and do so.

zig613

Depends... the life of the bushing is related to how heavy-handed and careful you are using sandpaper. The less contact the bushing has with the sandpaper (or being knicked with your skew) the longer they last.

Wade

mrcook4570

Depending on your finish of choice and method of application, you may find it necessary to occasionally turn away part of the build up on the bushings to restore them to proper diameter.

DurocShark

When mine get build up I toss 'em in a jar of acetone overnight. Next morning use a magnet to take 'em out. Wipe them off and good as new.

mikemac

I'm pretty heavy handed with my sanding.. and eventually find that I've removed a couple or more 'thou that I need to replace em.. I'm wondering if I'd have better luck making a set from STAINLESS.. anyone have any thoughts?

Top Bottom