Bushing differences among the same type of pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

whteglve

I'm just starting and I was wondering about the bushings for a cigar pen I purchased from "Klingspor" and the pen kits from others suppliers. Do the bushings and various parts for a cigar kit vary enough that I should get bushings from the supplier of the next cigar kit I buy say from "Woodcraft", "Pen State Industries" etc. Or are the close enough one set of bushings should be ok for all cigar kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cigar bushings are CLOSE, but no cigar, as the saying goes.

I don't know who supplies Klingspor, so I can't direct you well. IF you have a caliper, measure the fittings and measure your ends as you get close to final size. If you don't have a caliper, it's a good investment, over time you WILL WANT it, for me, several timea a night.

A small crescent wrench (with minimal "slippage") MAY work to tell you if the bushings are the same OD as your kit parts. (If you, like me when I started, have NO tools that will measure this accurately!!)

Good luck and WELCOME to IAP!!!

Texatdurango

One set of bushings should work. Like Ed says, get some calipers and get into the habit of turning close to the bushings then use your calipers for final measurements to the kit mating parts.

You will also find that within the same brand of kits, the diameters will vary within a few thousandths of an inch. The Jr Statesman kits from Craft Supply are nice kits but I have gotten to where I measure each kit and don't just assume they are all the same, especially the clip rings.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Unfortunately, there are variations in dimensions for similar kits from different sources. Sometimes it is on't a couple 1/1000ths of an inch, but that can make a difference success and problems.

My advice for those starting out is to always buy everything from the same supplier, and stay away from the general retailers who may not be getting all of their kits and parts from the same source. If nothing else, you will know who to call if there is a problem. Save the mixing and matching of parts until after you have made a few pens and accumulated a few additional tools, like the dial caliper that Ed suggests.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Texatdurango

You will also find that within the same brand of kits, the diameters will vary within a few thousandths of an inch. The Jr Statesman kits from Craft Supply are nice kits but I have gotten to where I measure each kit and don't just assume they are all the same, especially the clip rings.

Boy ain't that the truth! Even the finial end of the nib of the Jr Statesman will vary by .004 within the same plating. Bushings should be used as a guide rather than a crutch. It is a good idea to use the calipers to measure each piece of the kit that is meant to be flush with the body of the pen. As you progress you will find that you will have to compensate for applied finishes as well.

Mike

scotirish

I have bought kits of the same pen (often different name, but same pen) from different suppliers. As Russ indicated I buy the bushings from the same place I buy the kit.;););) I use a plastic drawer unit to keep my bushings in and put a small piece of card stock in the bottom with the name of the supplier, kit name and part no.[:p][:p][:p]

Rifleman1776

To sum up what the others have already said: yes, no, maybe, sometimes, and who knows.
The bushing question is a puzzler for many. It was for me at the beginning until someone advised that bushings should be considered disposable items. Unfortunately, that is true. Buying bushings is a constant expense and should be calculated into your pen prices. Buy new bushings with orders of kits and keep together. Use only those with the kits, do not mix. Some might work. Others might spoil your results. Not worth the fussin' and loss.

randyrls

Originally posted by whteglve

I'm just starting and I was wondering about the bushings for a cigar pen I purchased from "Klingspor" and the pen kits from others suppliers. Do the bushings and various parts for a cigar kit vary enough that I should get bushings from the supplier of the next cigar kit I buy say from "Woodcraft", "Pen State Industries" etc. Or are the close enough one set of bushings should be ok for all cigar kits?

Better to measure the fittings. I have found bushings that were .014 under size!

My first attempt at measuring was to make a gauge from two scraps of oak. Like this /\ position the scraps and put the fittings you want to measure between the scraps so the scraps are at an angle of a few degrees. Now glue the scraps together at the end there they are closest.

PTJeff

I agree with Frank.
It took me a while to realize 2 things about bushings.
1. they are a size guide, and
2. they are disposable.
As a new craftsman I was looking at the bushings as a tool and you buy tools once, but not with bushings.

Top Bottom