Bushing to Bushing Turning (Sierra Pen)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Seipp

I need help knowing how to set up the lathe for bushing to bushing turning of the Sierra Pen. From head stock to tale stock what is the configuration for the bushings and blank? Thanks for the help! I am a novice penturner.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Do you mean turning between centers? If so, all you need is a 60 degree live center for the tailstock, and a 60 degree deadcenter for the headstock. You can get that from penturnersproducts.com. A 3-4" rest is also nice to have for this.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The sierra has two bushings that are both the same. Doesn't matter how you set it up.

Now, the sierra VISTA or Wall street III has a larger and smaller. I BELIEVE the larger is the top, the smaller the nib. But, you can measure your nib (use a locking plier to keep the dimension, if you don't have calipers) and see which bushing fits it best - then you know you are correct.

WELCOME to IAP!!!

GPDMTR25

I highly recommend visiting Penturnersproducts.com web site

I need help knowing how to set up the lathe for bushing to bushing turning of the Sierra Pen. From head stock to tale stock what is the configuration for the bushings and blank? Thanks for the help! I am a novice penturner.

I can't say enough good things about his bushings. I highly recommend visiting his web site. Also on the right side where it says instructions click on that then click on bushings and he has some information along with what is listed below. You can also email him, he's very helpful with getting you started with what you need. Also if you register on his site as an IAP member you get a discount. As someone mentioned you'll need a smaller lathe rest. I purhcased a 3" rest from him.

http://www.penturnersproducts.com/
Typical use is a 60 degree dead center in the headstock and a 60 degree live center in the tailstock.
Place appropriate bushings small ends into tube ends, making sure they are seated to the shoulder (larger diameter step)
and snug between 60 degree centers on your lathe. Do not turn the lathe on without sufficient pressure to drive the blank, if the centers are spinning loose from the bushings damage to bushings/centers will likely result.

Attachments

• dhcz5nnk_3gwwgmxft.jpg
    dhcz5nnk_3gwwgmxft.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Paul in OKC

Most, I believe, set the pen blank(s) on the lathe with the top of the pen at the head stock, writing end at the tail stock end. At least that is the way I do them. Same with a two blank pen, top to bottom, left to right.

Wheaties

Most, I believe, set the pen blank(s) on the lathe with the top of the pen at the head stock, writing end at the tail stock end. At least that is the way I do them. Same with a two blank pen, top to bottom, left to right.

Interesting. I do it the other way. Does it really matter?

mickr

it appears you are so new to penturning that you don't even have the lingo down..my suggestion is to go to PSI and get their free video..watch it and then ask questions..there are other good books & videos avail to help you too...good luck

hewunch

I have always put my point/nib end @ the head stock. Reason being that the point I want to be the most accurate is the the point/nib because that is where it will be felt the most. And the further you get from the headstock the more of a chance of not being concentric you have.

Paul in OKC

I knew as soon as I posted that there would be more input from you backwards folks than the other! And no, it really doesn't matter, but a good point generally by hewunch. I may have to try it form the 'other side' =8^).

JimB

For pens it doesn't matter. Place it the way you can visualize the pen the best. I place the tip/nib at the tail stock becuase that was how the first pen i made was orientated on the instructions and now that is the way i visualize it.

RAdams

Banned
i do them nib end at the headstock as well. Absolutely no reason at all why i do it this way.

I do know that i am just about burnt out on mandrel turning and i am steady trying to convince my wife that i need all new bushings, dead center, etc etc.

Wheaties

i do them nib end at the headstock as well. Absolutely no reason at all why i do it this way.

I do know that i am just about burnt out on mandrel turning and i am steady trying to convince my wife that i need all new bushings, dead center, etc etc.

If it helps your cause at all, tell her that I agree... you NEED them. I can tell you from experience you will "turn"-out better pens!

Top Bottom