Bushes for Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

Has anyone made bushes for the slimline's for mandreless turning? I am hooked on mandreless after reading this forum.
What I have in mind is to use a larger bush from some larger kits and turn the smaller end to fit the inside diameter of the 7mm tubes and the larger end to the finish size of the slimlines. In order to ensure the small end has enough meat when turned to match the inside diameter of the 7 mm tubes I was thinking of filling the inside of the bush with epoxy. Will this work? Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Stephen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

I think you'd be better off making them out of brass or alum rod so you start off with a solid piece. I just don't think epoxy would hold up to the stresses for long.

Paul is gearing up to make them, you might want to shoot him an email.

knowltoh

Being new to the forum, I am not sure who "Paul" is. Could you please give a little more direction. I would also like to get some slimline bushings for mandrel-less turning.

Thanks,

Herb

ldb2000

Yes , Delrin , a type of plastic , will work but they will wear quickly if your not careful while your turning the blanks down and sanding them . Aluminum works well also and will last much longer , and it's easily turned to size with pen turning tools as long as they are kept sharp . I use Aluminum to make most of my kitless pens .

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I just made a bunch of derlin bushings and for a lot of them, I just turned them down at an angle and the tubes find the center themselves. That may also work for a slimline

bitshird

I just made a bunch of derlin bushings and for a lot of them, I just turned them down at an angle and the tubes find the center themselves. That may also work for a slimline

Neil; for larger blanks a tapered bushing is fine, but slimlines need a little support, I'd recommend using Alu. or Delrin for mandreless turning of slimlines, but the Alu. will wear faster than the Acetal/Delrin. Or just turn the Acetal down to .247 for about 3/4 inch then make you a .337 shoulder about 1/2 in long and a butt end .500 diameter and and drill the end with a #5 center drill, unless you have a metal lathe at your disposal, then make them out of drill rod, or Silver Steel as they say across the pond, I like making my bushings a bit longer on the part that goes into the tube.
Also you might consider drilling a very small hole all the way through the bushing so air pressure an vacuum doesn't smack you in nose.

Top Bottom