Bushes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz

I'm in the process of doing a batch of slimlines and was wondering how long bushes are lasting those people that turn quite a lot of pens. I remember reading once, someone suggesting that we need to get used to the idea that they are a consumable item and that replacing them more frequently than many do, was better than being too particular about avoiding contact with tools and abrasives.

The question is, how many pens are people averaging from a set of bushes? My biggest problem is remembering to order them when I get my kits:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Chris - That will depend on if you hit them with your chisel or sand them down. I used to replace them about every 20 pens, but since I got calipers, I don't use the bushings as a stop gauge any more. Get you a set of calipers and measure the pen parts, then use the bushing as a guide to get close to the size, then measure with the calipers and sneek up on the final size. You fit and finish will greatly improve if you do this.

Randy_

I've never had to replace a set of bushings because of wear. For me the conrolling factor is how frequently I drop one in the junk on the floor and can't find it!![:D][:D]

dbriski

Monty can you go into more detail on how to use the calipers? I have tried it but unsure on exact useage. Do you measure with the lathe off, but on the mandrel? How do you get around measuring the correct size if your barrel increases in diameter? Do you remove the bushings the measure the very tip?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Using the nib as an example. I measure the nib diameter where it will join the blank. Then I turn the blank down to somewhere close to the bushing size, turn the lathe off, and measure the blank as close to the end as possible with the calipers to see how close I am to the desired diameter. I then turn off more of the blank if needed or if I'm within 0.005" I'll sand to get to just under the size I need, because CA will build up the diameter. How close you go will depend on how you finish and what tolerances you will accept and feel good about.

Rmartin

just a thought..........Never use a caliper on a lathe while it's turning. Never! I may be a saftey nut, but I have a kill switch next to my lathe and I always cut the power whenever I'm changing speeds or measuring blanks or any kind of set up. That's just me.

Rmartin

Mikey

What I generally do is start out with one set and then after it gets hit with the chisel a bunch and then sanded, I start using that set exclusively for finishing and sanding and switch to a new set for the turning. if you look at how many pens can be tuurned with a set even if you aren't all that careful, the cost breaks down to something like a quarter per pen. if you can afford that quarter, maybe you should be turning the $5, $20, or $50 kits. JMHO, and not referring to anyone in particular.

Randy_

Originally posted by Mikey
<br />.....if you look at how many pens can be tuurned with a set even if you aren't all that careful, the cost breaks down to something like a quarter per pen. if you can afford that quarter, maybe you should be turning the $5, $20, or $50 kits. JMHO, and not referring to anyone in particular.

Geez, Mikey.....give the guy a break. All he was doing was asking a simple question.....I'm sure he wasn't looking for a lecture on which kits he should be using.

FYI, Jay Pickens uses nothing but slimline kits and does some wonderful work!! Probably much better than you, I or many others will ever hope to manage. While I don't personally care for slimlines, myself, for you to imply they are less than worthy kits is bordering on arrogance. Buzz is obviously very happy crafting slimlines.....more power to him!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom