Burnt Drill Bit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

suefox51

Good Morning!
Had a strange thing happen over the weekend. Was drilling Olivewood and as the bit hit the wood, it started to smoke. I stopped, looked, and tried again. This time no smoke - kept drilling (using drill press), not pressing too hard, letting the bit do its thing, smoke again. Every 1/8 or 1/4 inch, I pulled the bit up to clear it. Was able to finish drilling with lots of smoke, even after cooling off bit.
Now, the bit has blisters on it and is black.
Thoughts? Was I pushing too hard, even though I wasn't I don't think! Was the bit defective - first time using it and it was new. Wood an issue?
All comments appreciated:cool:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

Sounds like you're doing the right things.....new drill bit, advancing slow the clean out the bit. Olivewood is naturally oily and tends to heat quickly. I've set my drill speed as low as possible and do like you do - advance a little at a time and clean out the bit. Sometimes if the wood is exceptionally oily, I'll spray some water into the hole as I'm drilling to keep it cool.

turncrazy43

Never had that happen when drilling Olive Wood. Slow drilling and clearing often is the best way. Never heard of blisters appearing on the drill bit. My thought is the bit is defective. Try a different bit in the same wood and compare your results.

HamTurns

My guess is that your new drill bit isn't as sharp as it should be.

Kind of like a new gouge to use on the lathe, it may look sharp "out of the box" but it won't cut right until you sharpen it.

Try sharpening it and give it another try.

Happy turning
Tom

ironman123

I agree with Tom. I take all my new bits and put them through the Drill Doctor. Sometimes when I need a hole in hard wood, I get out the Drill Doctor and make a fresh sharp bit to use.

Ray

Jim Smith

Is there any chance that your drill bit had some kind of a coating on it to prevent rust? It almost sound like it was the coating that was heating up and smoking, resulting in the blisters on the drill bit. In my experience, metal doesn't blister until very hot and you would feel the heat emanating from the bit if it was that hot. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

raar25

I am not sure how HSS blisters at the temperatures you are talking about. The wood would have been in flames before the steel reached the temperature, I am beting there is some kind of coating on it.

bjbear76

Also, what size hole were you drilling? 7mm? larger?

If larger (10mm, 3/8", etc) try drilling a 7mm or even 6mm hole first, then follow with the larger drill bit. You won't have so much material to remove and it will build up less heat.

edstreet

27/54 = 1/2"

Some may not be aware of it but it is most often not the tip that overheats but the shaft of the drill bit. There is friction heat generated by contact with the walls of the blank, throw in some dust from cutting and clogged flutes and you have even more heat.

The longer you leave the bit exposed to the walls the more heat builds up and it does not take long for the oils in olivewood to smoke. A quick look at cooking oils we see that olive oil smoke point is 360-420F and if you see that happening when drilling then that means inside the tube and the wood itself is around 400 degree's, or more.

Top Bottom