burning/scorching the wooden pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sparky2

Has anybody ever done this, to achieve a unique or textured gripping surface?

If so, how did it turn out?

Did you have to coat the finished product with clear-coat paint or varnish?

Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I've done it on a piece of plain Red Oak, used a small torch on really low speed(be sure to vaccuum the shaving first---DAMHIKT).

Came out real nice, but I needed to apply a coat of BLO before finishing to get it to POP! Then I did a medCAx8 coat finish on it......

Scott

keithbyrd

I turned a peicce of orange - really plain wood - before putting on the CA I used my propane torch and with the blanck running at high speed I gently "torched" the wood. Be sure to not stay in one spot (DAMHIKT) - move rapidly back and forth - be patient. I produced what I called a Toasted Orange Cigar!

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

D.Oliver

If I remember correctly, Marc (paintspill) did that to a piece of pine and it looked great. I'll see if I can't find a link for it.

paintspill

well i guess i really don't need to comment here do i. i got so excited when i read the thread and actually had something to share for a change. i was even more excited to see that my work was not only remembered but found and posted. thanks. but i will add that i would finish it with some sort of clear. if you have ever handled a piece of burnt wood you will under stand. the one shone is ca.

Top Bottom