burning lines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

Any who have tried burning lines into pens know that using wire can cut through to the tube very quickly. Eagle uses cotton string and suggested we try that. I just finished an osage orange slimline that I wanted to burn lines in but we don't have any cotton string in the house. Digging around in my 'stuff' I found a ball of hemp string I had bought from some hippies craft shop. This worked just fine. It burned the rings and broke/burned through at just the instant I wanted to stop. A big plus using hemp is that the smoke got me high while I was doing this. ;):)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
And you don't have to worry about handles.[:D]
You going to post pictures?
Hey! What about the antler question I e-mailedyou?

low_48

Yeah, how about 2.2 pounds? [}:)] [:p]I use piano wire. I picked up an entire crate of different sizes at an industrial surplus outlet. Lots of sizes. I've thought about offering it on the site, but I think you can pick it up at any guitar shop.

Rich

scalawagtoo

I'm just starting to freehand pens ands I worry more about removing burn lines from the spindle gouge. I also worry about burning the tiny chisels and losing hardness.

I will have to try burning lines with string.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />And you don't have to worry about handles.[:D]
You going to post pictures?
Hey! What about the antler question I e-mailedyou?

Naw, no pictures. It was a run of the mill (non-innovative) osage orange slimline. Turned out fine but not braggin' material. Besides, I've killed myself in a fit of jealousy over your continuing innovative ideas. I had my coffee and answered the antler questions from the grave. [:p][:)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by scalawagtoo
<br />I'm just starting to freehand pens ands I worry more about removing burn lines from the spindle gouge. I also worry about burning the tiny chisels and losing hardness.

I will have to try burning lines with string.

Wadda ya mean 'freehand'? The string idea came from Eagle, he gets credit for that. It overcomes the tendancy of wires to cut through the wood on small projects. And the smaller the wire, the quicker the cut.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Geo in Winnipeg
<br />Would dental floss work? Just wondering [:)]
From paast observations I don't think so.
One I think it's a nylon or something like it and it will melt/ break before it burns the line but give it a try and report back.
The other thing is wax coating will lubricate.
I have learned from experience also that is I am going to burn it lines it is best to di it before I fill with CA. For some reason it is more diffult to get a singe mark on the material.

nilsatcraft

I'm also a guitar string user. When I'm done with the strings on my guitar I take 'em to the shop and they work really well.
-Frank, I liked the comment about getting high from the hemp- maybe I'll have to start using that! [;)][;)] My pens would probably turn out much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom