burning line in groove

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

I have seen some pens with a groove that has been blackened. I know this involves holding a wire in the groove while turning. Can anyone give me additional info on that technique?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by gsdoby
<br />I have seen some pens with a groove that has been blackened. I know this involves holding a wire in the groove while turning. Can anyone give me additional info on that technique?

You have pretty much said it all. That's what you do. For pens, however, I would caution to not use too fine a wire as they can cut through your blank almost instantly. And, don't hold too long. I use ordinary black wire but anything will work. Experiment with waste wood before risking an almost finished pen with expensive burl wood.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You got it!

Make a groove, usually with a skew point, then hold a wire against the turning blank (in the groove) until it smokes-it is now blackened. Finish sand to remove any wood that is proud of the finished dimension.

The wire will get hot-real hot! Suggest you make a couple wood dowel handles, then stretch the wire between them. Mine are (I have several guages of wire set up to do this) about two feet long, so the center heat does not make it as far as my hands before the process is finished.

Sufficiently nebulous to confuse one and all??

rduncan

Originally posted by gsdoby
<br />I have seen some pens with a groove that has been blackened. I know this involves holding a wire in the groove while turning. Can anyone give me additional info on that technique?

I can only add that I've used old guitar strings and some are wrapped. This seems to make them more "abrasive" and burn faster. Sorry I'm not a guitarist so can't expound but they were still pretty thin. I believe I bought a set on eBay for under $5 delivered. Can make quite a few burners for that $5.

Rick

ccarse

I usually just use the twist ties that come with a loaf of bread. Just strip the paper off the wire and use it. I just do that cause I dont do that technique very often. The wire does get hot but I usually am done by the time it gets hot. It doesn't take long. I agree with starting the line with the skew. It's really a simple process that can add a nice look to a pen if done right.

btboone

DO NOT wrap the wire around your fingers! If it caught it could easily remove a finger. It's pretty much common sense, but worth repeating.

stevers

I use a piece of jewelers wire and have had good success. But like they said, be carefull, I did cut through a blank once trying to get a darker burn.
Steve

jahlg

I dont know if anyone is awre of this, I learned it at our Group meeting here in Detroit area, if you got to your local Home Depot, and snag some of there Free Samples of Formica in the Kitchen design area, then once you make your groove with the Skew or whatever you choose, press the edge of the formica into that groove and it will burn a line as well. And its free!!!!!!! They are also good glue spreaders as well.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom