Burned wire detail

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMisiaszek

I'm making several KC-style pens that do not use a center-band, but have wire-burned detail where the center-band would be on most pens. I've had no problems burning in the "rings" on the barrel, but finishing has been a problem. If I burn the rings before finishing (Enduro), the rings fill with finish and lose their edge. If I burn in the rings after finishing (and overnight cure) the finish in the rings melts and deforms, leaving a white residue and a raised edge around the rings. Polishing out the edge results in a dog chasing his tail cycle where more reside winds up in the ring. Clearly, I slept through this class. When do you burn in the detail, and what finishing trick do I need to know?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocRon

I also finish with CA. Have not re-burned afterwards. Generally a score a shallow groove with the end of a skew as a guide for the wire, so the burn goes in a little farther than it might. I have not notoced much blurring of the edges.

cwhitmer

Great post...I've had the same problem. A few observations

If I burn first, then finish, I get crap built up in the grooves...that ain't gunna work. Would it be smart to fill the groove first with CA to help fill the grooves to the surface, then finish with CA across the rest of the blank?

If I finish, then burn, I notice that the finish next to the groves gets messed up (from the heat?) or the color of the wood even changes.

I will give it another try finishing first, then burning.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I think I do it like Mike and Doc. I have a photo sequence on my website at http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen42.html

If you are getting fuzzy edges on the lines you might not be running the lathe fast enough, or not burning deep enough, or using too big a wire.

The best lines come when the lathe is running as fast as it will go, and the wire burns to a depth just past half the thickness of the wire. Use a smaller wire if that makes too wide a groove. I use a 22-gauge wire and vary the width of the line by skewing the wire in the groove after I have reached the depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom