Burned!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

musky

I finally got a CA finish that I love, and my pen which is my 5th I've made turned out beautiful, but I learned an important lesson during my finish. I do always wear safety glasses and most the time wear a mask, but chose not to wear gloves. My first few pens I tried a BLO/CA finish with med CA glue and got some on my hands and it peeled off pretty easily. Now I am doing plain thin CA with accelerator in a spray can, and during the finishing process, I somehow got some on my thumb and thought to myself that hurt like hell. Now I have one raw spot and another small white bump that looks like a small blister. Have any of you ever been burned by thin CA before. I guess I will get some rubber gloves before my next pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Definitely been burned. That stuff gets HOT!

I do find that the Rockler CA gets hotter than the others I've tried. Also
it 'grows' when you hit it with an activator.

I had to stop doing CA without BLO if I used the paper towel method. Without
the oil, the glue goes right through the towel to the glove. And then the
glove gets stuck to the skin before you realize that it has melted.. I even
started 'double bagging' .. wearing a glove and then putting one of the pen
kit plastic bags over the finger and then the paper towel. But it would melt
through the bag AND the glove before you finish the first coat.. especially
if you already used the activator on your last coat of CA

Seems the BLO holds the glue on the towel long enough to finish the coat
and then tear off the end of the towel.

DSallee

well, not with the CA itself but when applying it to the pen the heat generated from the curing and friction "burnt" me a few times... not to the point of blistering though... Gets pretty freekin hot if ya ain't careful and put too much pressure... LOL

Now, as soon ans I feel some heat on my fingers I back off a little before it gets too hot.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think the accelerator mixed with CA generates heat in the curing, and that's what caused the burn. Viscosity of the CA wasn't the issue.

That's probably true, but the thin CA goes through the towel faster. :tongue:

And depending on the brand (formulations are different) yes, it CAN get that
hot that fast. I've started to feel the warmth, stopped to get rid of the glove
since I knew it was going to melt, and by the time I got the glove off, that
finger was smarting!

OF course, you'd think I'd remember all that the next time I go to use CA.. :rolleyes:

knowltoh

Applying CA

I don't remember where I got this tip, but I have used this method for applying CA to reel seat inserts for a long time. Wrap some 2" masking tape over your index finger and apply the CA that way. Works for me!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Helpful hint: Don't put CA on a scratch and then spray it with accelerator!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMHIKT!

LOL :biggrin:

It will close the scratch, though. I'm sure it's not quite the same formula,
but CA is used for sutures after surgery in some cases.
You were studying for a medical final, right?:tongue:

MobilMan

The CA we use is not the medical CA & shouldn't used in place of it. I usually sand with 400 & thin CA to fill in any pores/lines to get an extra smooth finish. I use one of the small bags from the kit over my finger. Then after all the sanding I use one of those bags over my finger to put the thin CA on the blank. One pass across the blank at 800rpm. Quick blast of accelerator, then another quick pass. Usually goes of fairly smooth so I start sanding with 800. Been lucky, I guess, cause it's never gotten hot. After sanding to 1000 & smooth, work at 2-3 more coats. Looks like glass. Remember all...throw those Blo-CA towels in a container & cover.

bruce119

Man you got to watch that CA. I had it on my finger the paper towel was folded many times. I put a large quantity of thin CA (Oh this was a wile ago I learned my lesson) It started smoking, Then started burning couldn't tear it off it would take a chunk of skin. Leave it on and get a second degree burn with blistering. You got to be careful it happens FAST. And like I said if you try and rip it off it will take a chunk of flesh. I learned better to take the burn then the chunk of skin.

Morel of the story don't let it happen. I fold the paper towel at least 8 times and always ware gloves or at least a finger cut off a glove that way if it gets through and you feel the heat you can ripe it off it only sticks to the glove. With out the glove your screwed your going to lose skin or get burned.

jttheclockman

Wow this is the most I have heard about this as a real danger to using CA and yet many many people use it everyday. I guess people have developed methods that work and do not get burned.

bruce119

Just do a test take a piece of paper towel fold it a few times in a nice square. Now squeeze a good bit of thin CA on the towel KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR FINGERS AND DON'T BREATH THE SMOKE. It will burn your eyes like onions gone bad. It can be very nasty stuff. The thing is to use it sparingly.

markgum

a new trick I learned was to take the thin foam packaging material and use that for the CA applicator. Don't stick or run through as with a paper towel. seems to smooth out easier also.

rherrell

Wow this is the most I have heard about this as a real danger to using CA and yet many many people use it everyday. I guess people have developed methods that work and do not get burned.
That's exactly right. I don't use BLO so that probably has ALOT to do with not getting burned. With BLO you have to use more of a RUBBING motion and therefore you need to put your finger directly behind the spot on the towel with the CA on it. When using CA only I use more of a WIPING motion and the CA on the end of the paper towel and out in front of my fingers. I'ts not until I'm done wiping the CA, about 5 seconds, and when I'm cutting off the end of the towel with scissors that I see a little smoke from the CA reacting with the cellulose.
I also put it on cuts and don't get burned, of course I don't hit it with accelerator either:eek:.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I have used thin CA for years on MINOR cuts and it works great. When I was donating blood regularly, the finger stick was the part that bothered me the most, particularly when at the keyboard. I started cleaning my finger with alcohol when I got to the office and putting on a small dab of CA. That sealed the wound and I never felt anything from finger sticks again.

Before anyone's underwear heads north in a bunch, I specified MINOR cuts. I do not recommend CA for compound fractures, traumatic amputations or severe lacerations.

jttheclockman

Yes I too am curious as to what packing material you are talking about???? If you are talking that foam stuff doesn't that melt and two doesn't that leave ridges??? I am probably thinking of the wrong thing here.

markgum

it is a foam stuff; not peanuts not bubble wrap. Heck if I know the 'official' name for it. I haven't had a problem with ridges from it.

Dan_F

I start with a piece of paper towel, about three times the width I want to end up with. Placed in the center of this is a strip of plastic wrap about the same as the final width. Each edge of the towel is then folded over the plastic, so that the entire sandwich has one layer of towel, followed by the plastic, with two layers of towel over that. I am then left with a long strip that glue can't soak through. This serves two purposes. It prevents the glue from soaking too far into the towel, so that most of it goes onto the blank. It also helps protect my fingers. I still usually wear gloves though, as accidents do happen. After each application, I trim off the used portion with a scissors, and have a fresh surface to work with. I don't use BLO, just the CA glue.

Dan

Top Bottom