Burls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have been looking at a lot of different burls lately and was wondering, Can all woods produce burls or is it only certain kinds under certain conditions. This is just one of those things I've been wondering.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurnerJohn74

Very good question. I think all trees get burls, I have noticed were you find one there will be another very close by. I cut a White Cedar burl up and found a shot gun slug deep in the burl, so I think that's what caused that burl. Others are disease's I think that's why you find them together. Some are also caused from damage to the tree in its younger years. I'm sure there are many more reasons for a tree to form a burl.
John

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It depends on what you are calling a burl. A healed over bump from a wound is NOT a burl! I have dealt with a LOT of Texas Pecan and have never see a true pecan burl. I also have a friend who is a pecan farmer and harvests pecans from hundreds of thousands of both plantation and natural pecan trees. He has never seen a pecan burl either. I have cut lots of pecan "bumps" that were healed over wounds but none were burls.

greggas

It depends on what you are calling a burl. A healed over bump from a wound is NOT a burl! I have dealt with a LOT of Texas Pecan and have never see a true pecan burl. I also have a friend who is a pecan farmer and harvests pecans from hundreds of thousands of both plantation and natural pecan trees. He has never seen a pecan burl either. I have cut lots of pecan "bumps" that were healed over wounds but none were burls.

Curtis
Not sure if this is the same type of pecan that your friend grows but this is a very cool burled pecan tree. Also an interesting trailer on Youtube. http://www.blakelyburltree.com

trailer at.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m5zRtEeHKM

robutacion

Well, from experience, I can tell you that only a small number of trees, considering the probable hundreds of thousands, if not millions of tree species growing all around the world, only a small percentage will grow a true burl.

Curtis have already explained that not all "bulges" in trees are burls, and if you are going to ask me, what is in fact a true burl, this same subject is been discussed and expended a few times previously, a quick search on the subject will give you plenty of info.

I can also tell you that, in within tree species that are seen producing burls, not all trees from that species will produce burls, either. A very healthy tree doesn't produce burls, as burs are a indication of a tree disease, deformity, damage natural or man made...! Burls are mostly tree "abscesses" that form from a local deformation. The "puss" that we know in a human/animal abscess, is mostly in liquid form, when it becomes more solid is is normally know as cysts or tumours.

Trees, will produce large amounts of "zap" and other natural substances to surround the problem area and will a healing process that works in a half circular way, most times, the best way to explain it is, if you would try to fill a balloon with different colours smoke, the smoke will follow the balloon side walls, while pushed by gravity, and when reaches the balloon's bottom, it starts to come up through its centre and "curl" down again, right and left of the balloon, forming in many small burls a mirror pattern image.

There are many possible ways the burls are processed by the tree, as there are many reasons that can make a tree develop a burl, but those that have had the opportunity to slice a full size burl, they will see this curl effect and very identical on both sides of the burl...!

It can get very technical, believe me but, I'm only trying to give a simple to understand scenario and burl formation/growth in very uncomplicated terms, I hope that I have some how succeeded...!:confused::wink:

Cheers
George

Thanks for helping me understand burls everyone. I have wondered this since I first learned about burls. One wood in particular that I would like to see a burl come from is bocote. I have done numerous searches but haven't found much. I guess it may be one of those woods that doesn't produce burls.

Thanks again everybody

Russianwolf

There are a lot of trees that I've never seen a burl from, BUT I won't say that those trees never produce burls. Why? because it only takes one to prove that statement wrong. And I want that statement to be wrong.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Just to clarity based on Mike's post above...I am not saying that Pecan does not produce burls. I am just saying that I have never seen one in the thousands of pecan trees I have looked at. I spent an entire day driving around a 1,000 acre natural pecan grove with my friend looking for anything that might be a burl with no luck.

I think many types will grow a burl but they have different reasons for it.So an oak will not burl as easily as a maple will due to the proper conditions not being present.This is only a guess as they are not certain as to why all burls happen,they know why some do(some reasons above).I think some trees like maple need only one or two things to happen to create a burl,but an oak may need four or five things to happen.Who really knows and that is part of the mystery of wood,never know what you find when you crack a log open.My two cents,Victor

greggas

Just to clarity based on Mike's post above...I am not saying that Pecan does not produce burls. I am just saying that I have never seen one in the thousands of pecan trees I have looked at. I spent an entire day driving around a 1,000 acre natural pecan grove with my friend looking for anything that might be a burl with no luck.

Curtis, sorry, was trying to contradict you, just thought you'd be interested in the tree

robutacion

Hi everyone,

I had a small Almond tree burl that I cut from the side of an old tree in town, and decided today to slice it open at 21mm thickness. I was going to use it for pen blanks but, when I saw its colours and configuration I decided not to and treat it to preserve its shape until I'm ready to butt joint the 2 bigger pieces together to preserve its "heart" configuration, I have something in mind to do with it later...!:wink:

Anyhow, I decided to take a couple of pics just to demonstrated and validate some of my statements on my previous post, about the way "most" burls develop within, and the mirror image they can easily produce when slice in half.

This is certainly only a very small burl, about 6" round(ish) and 3" 1/2 deep/thick but good enough to show what happening...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_1152.jpg
    100_1152.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_1153.jpg
    100_1153.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 114

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Dang Curtis...you drove around an entire day in a 1000 acres of pecan tree's..

..you must have been nuts by the end of the day :)

SDB777

I sure do wish I new how to grow burls thow.

John, do you own a gun? If so, shoot a tree and wait 20 years:)

Don't think this method works..... I read this then looked at a tree that I shot a cat in, this shot happened maybe 15yrs ago.....no burl. And I certainly would hate to run a bandsaw blade through a bullet lodged in a piece of wood!!! Eck, snap, run away!!!!
(Side note: If the bullet thing would work, wouldn't every tree along a fence row be loaded with burls? Same damage to the tree, but with a fence in it??)

From the multiple searches I've done in the past, looking for the reason a burl forms, it pretty much comes down to fungus or un-formed buds. And no one is absolutely sure....

I don't consider a limb cut from a tree that has been 'grown-over' a burl.....more of a wierd healing. And having cut open a few of these(while hoping and praying) have come to find a rotten center with normal-ish looking growth rings shaped like a bump.
Large bumps on trees gets me a little excited, but it generally turns out to be a limb that was cut, wind storm damage from ages ago, or the like and it's just not worth the effort to cut those things off anymore.

Scott (dream of a grove of burls) B

seamus7227

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if anyone else read the story on that pecan burl, but for those that didnt, This is unbelievable! Look at what this tree produced!!

Russianwolf

Hi everyone,

Anyhow, I decided to take a couple of pics just to demonstrated and validate some of my statements on my previous post, about the way "most" burls develop within, and the mirror image they can easily produce when slice in half.

Cheers
George

Hey George,
What the difference between what you are describing and any book matched piece of wood? If you slide any piece of wood in half and open it like a book, you should get nearly mirror images.

greggas

I sure do wish I new how to grow burls thow.

John, do you own a gun? If so, shoot a tree and wait 20 years:)

Don't think this method works..... I read this then looked at a tree that I shot a cat in, this shot happened maybe 15yrs ago.....no burl. And I certainly would hate to run a bandsaw blade through a bullet lodged in a piece of wood!!! Eck, snap, run away!!!!
(Side note: If the bullet thing would work, wouldn't every tree along a fence row be loaded with burls? Same damage to the tree, but with a fence in it??)

From the multiple searches I've done in the past, looking for the reason a burl forms, it pretty much comes down to fungus or un-formed buds. And no one is absolutely sure....

I don't consider a limb cut from a tree that has been 'grown-over' a burl.....more of a wierd healing. And having cut open a few of these(while hoping and praying) have come to find a rotten center with normal-ish looking growth rings shaped like a bump.
Large bumps on trees gets me a little excited, but it generally turns out to be a limb that was cut, wind storm damage from ages ago, or the like and it's just not worth the effort to cut those things off anymore.

Scott (dream of a grove of burls) B

I have seen burls with shot in them ( unfortunately so hasn't my band saw !) and even one with barbed wire and they were not scabs. may have ben coincidence but i have read in the past that gunshots can be a cause of burl. I do agree with you that most burls seem to be caused by fungus and i would also add birds and insects to the list. Around here, not sure why, but on the north side of streams and swamps we get a lot of burl growth in cherries, beech and birch...I tend to think that perhaps it is related to insects and / or their predators ????

I wish that a bullet was all that was needed to cause a tree to make a burl. If that was the case, just about every tree around here would be loaded with burls.:biggrin:

TurnerJohn74

Look at the White Cedar burl thread (other things we make) David Keller posted a few months back. That's proof a bullet can cause a Burl to form, I got that burl and sent it to David, when I was cuttind the burl sure enough I cut right threw a 12 gauge slug with the band saw. Did not even no I had cut threw a soft piece of lead until I seen it with my own eye's.
That bullet made one very nice Burl, take a look for yourself
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68958&highlight=White+cedar+burl http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67446&highlight=White+cedar+burl

TurnerJohn74

Take a look at Wikipedia. It says a Burls results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be environmental or introduced by humans.

SDB777

I stand correct on the "shot" from a firearm causing a burl after seeing that thread....maybe it t'was lead-poisoning! After all the cat was dispatched with a .30-caliber projectile from a 300Whisper!

When driving around looking for burls, it is completely random as to where I seem to see them. Although I've been making 'mental notes' as to where they are found around here, I've seen no pattern at all.
I happened to see a group of three trees in the front yard next to a hospital yesterday that was covered with hundreds of tiny burls(biggest about 4" across). All trees were the same species(I'll figure out what they are when the leaves come out...can't tell right now) and try to find some of those trees in the 'wild'!

Maybe the 'shots fired into trees' allowed a certain bug to go in a pooh!!!

Scott (bug pooh burls) B

robutacion

Hi everyone,

Cheers
George

Hey George,
What the difference between what you are describing and any book matched piece of wood? If you slide any piece of wood in half and open it like a book, you should get nearly mirror images.

I don't thing you understood the purpose of the pics, as a small sample of a burl growing attached to the trunk as a sea shell attaches to a rock in the sea. The purpose of showing this sliced small burl was to demonstrated the circular pattern of the grain even tough was attached flat on to the tree trunk (vertical). The mirror image I'm talking about is if the burl grows suspended as if was a "sac", and sliced through the whole width.

Most larger burls growing on the tree trunks have the same pattern it sliced parallel with the cut that removed it from the tree. My small burl was too small to be cut in any other way but, it a little larger, I would have cut it parallel to the removal cut and show you the slices, right to the pointed end of the burl, the grain pattern would show the very same undulation formation within the internal growth of the burled material, with the left and right sides of the slice looking identical.

Shame that I don't have a full burl here that I could cut it out, just for you...!!!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

I'm not sure if anyone else read the story on that pecan burl, but for those that didnt, This is unbelievable! Look at what this tree produced!!

I don't think you would like to pay for what each of those slabs were sold for...!:eek:

I wouldn't certainly be able to afford even the left overs, I may could have got some chainsaw sawdust, If I would be allowed near the tree. From what I read, the number of people involved in this project, directly or indirectly involved with woodworking, is enough to make a damn dogs fight to see who gets what, regardless of price.

Someone will get it for a large sums of money, lets hope this people can do its justice...!!!

Cheers
George

srf1114

I have some pictures of two very large weeping willow trees. They are covered in burls.

In one of the pictures you can see part of the cause. It is an old cast iron fence post, that the tree has completely engulfed, except the top 2 inches. Cutting in to this tree will certainly damage some tools, and maybe the people using the tools as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom