Burls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dale

This is probably the wrong place to ask this. if so please move/remove it

I have access to a burl on the tree now matter of fact there are 3 on it. Two on limbs and one rather large one.
My question is a burl that is 3foot by 3foot by 8-10 thick.. now how long would it take for it to dry.
Would it be better to cut it up in smaller chunks?
Cut it a little larger then pen blanks?
Or walk away and wish someone else has it.
If I cut it up should it be coated in wax or something like that?

I figure a few good bowls might be good.

It is oak not sure which one of the oaks just yet.

It is on a tree in the edge of our churches property. So it wouldnt matter if its cut down.. got all permission I need so now what to do?

thanks
dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

writestuff

Burls?

In my expierence, burlsfor bowls should be roughed out green. Pen blanks, dry. If you are going to try pen blanks out of green, expect cracking. I have always turned seasoned wood, so this may not be much help. My expierence also has shown that the burl figure is USUALY on the out side of the tree round. I would cut it at least three ins. into the center wood of the tree. There are most likely videos on the subject, try googeling burls for turning. Good luck with your treasure. :)
WS

Last edited:

workinforwood

I think if you turned a bowl green from it then you'd end up with a curved pile of oak pieces. An oak burl doesn't dry easy. I'd leave it whole with the bark on and paint the open face with oil base paint, put it in the attack face down for at least a year. Then I'd cut it for bowl blanks or slab it up. It won't be dry yet, but the highest volume of moisture will have left. Any cracking after a year of sitting like that will be reduced. Cracks can always be repaired, often to look better than with no crackes

robutacion

This is probably the wrong place to ask this. if so please move/remove it

I have access to a burl on the tree now matter of fact there are 3 on it. Two on limbs and one rather large one.
My question is a burl that is 3foot by 3foot by 8-10 thick.. now how long would it take for it to dry.
Would it be better to cut it up in smaller chunks?
Cut it a little larger then pen blanks?
Or walk away and wish someone else has it.
If I cut it up should it be coated in wax or something like that?

I figure a few good bowls might be good.

It is oak not sure which one of the oaks just yet.

It is on a tree in the edge of our churches property. So it wouldnt matter if its cut down.. got all permission I need so now what to do?

thanks
dale

Hi Dale,

Like most things in life, there many ways to do things, and everyone has its own opinions, I'm certainly no different and I have my own way to deal with burls or most timbers. So that I don't repeat myself, I have recently provided some ideas of how I do things on a thread in this forum so, it would probably be worth while if you have a look here and read what I say about the subject. Any other questions you may have:biggrin: you only have to ask...!

PS: Put the time and make the effort of getting those burls yourself, you will regret one day if you don't, believe me!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Personally, I would leave it standing where it is unless it is about to die or needs to come down. I personally don't believe in removing a tree just for the burl of it!

dale

Mesquite man it isn't just going to be cut for the burl. It will make a lot of fire wood. It overhangs a building belonging to the church and if it falls would destroy the building probably. The rest of ypu guys I will look at all the information you'll gave. Thanks

Top Bottom