Burl info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodkiller

I have seen some amazing burls show up on here and had a few questions about them.
1. Where do you get the really nice ones?
I have bought a few that were hohum but nothing special.
2. How many do you buy at a time and what % make it on to a pen?
I buy one or 2 and have not had great luck yet.
3. Do you buy them stabilized or not?
I bought both and think stabilized is the way for me to go.

I understand if you don't want to divulge specific sources, but a little help in the right direction would be great. Don't worry about me buying them all up either, I have no budget for that. :(

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

I have a good supply of pen blanks from low end to high end. I started my wood hunting on eBay. Then as I learned more and more about the IAP vendors, I found good wood with them as well. I have found that most of the time a good burl does not last so you have to keep shopping. Once you find a reputable source (you have to be careful on eBay) with a good burl-- pull the trigger before it's gone. You can trust IAP vendors.

If I spend good money on a burl I use most of it on one pen and the save all pieces for a future segmented pen.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Every piece / blank is different.

The safest bet is to get a pic of the specific blank and ideally from all sides.

Stabilized is more important for some than others. Amboyna and thuya have been very solid for me unstabilized. Buckeye always seems better stabilized.

Others can go either way.

NittanyLion

Try to find a good source on ebay. One guy I found, based on a tip here, is "hiromi54". His shipping is high, but I've never been dissapointed in an order from him. Most of his timber is in slab or planks....my preference.

Dale Lynch

Buying whole burls may be hit or miss cause you'll never know whats inside till you cut it.If you are just buying by the blank that's figure on all 4 sides you'll empty your wallet pretty quick.If you can buy it by the slab it'll save you a little money but you'll have to cut it yourself and the same figure you see from the outsides may or may not be on the inside.

Woodkiller

Thanks for the help so far. I would like to in the near future move up to nicer, more expensive component sets and I would love to put some exquisite burls on them. Soon as I can afford it that is.

One more question, I just found out some burls are underground in the roots. Are specific species all underground and the rest above ground? For example I saw olive wood root burl for sale. Would the same olive tree have any burls in the canopy or would they all be underground?

Thanks again.

Old Codger

Mike... I belong to Greg Dahl's 'Burl of the Month' Club since inception last year and couldn't be more pleased! Greg is a 'TV Star' as he and his group are featured on the History Channel's 'Filthy Rich' TV Show... I've never been disappointed with his burls nor other wood turning blanks that I've purchased from him... You can view and check out his current burl/wood selection at 'Oregonburls.com'... He lists pen/knife,bowl,spindle,gun stock, etc. blanks sooo he should have what you might need...Give him a call if you can't find what you want and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Nooooo, I'm not affiliated with him or his friends in any way, just a very satisfied customer! Let him know who sent you though... ;>) Safe turning to you!

studioseven

Filthy Rich

What a coincidence. I just watched the show "Filthy Rich" on tv this weekend. I remember thinking that for what they were saying his burls were worth, that I would probably never be able to afford them. Thanks to the tip above, I checked out the web site and the prices seem reasonable. I may have to give him a try.

Seven

Old Codger

Seven...I don't think you'll be disappointed... I've never been, and I've received well over a dozen shipments from Greg this past year! I'm currently turning one of his black walnut burls and can't wait until I finish it to see how it will turn out. I'll post a couple of photos of the finished product as soon as I complete it. Say 'Hello' to Greg for me and many others and urge him to keep looking and finding such wonderful turning blanks! Safe turning to you always!

Top Bottom