From BURL to BLANKS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I like to use self cut lumber and blanks mostly because of my funds, or lack of, for buying some of the high end turning woods out there. I found myself cutting up some pen small burl the other day and remembered reading a couple posts of people asking to see the process of cutting from burl and log to blank, so I pushed the pieces back together and got out the camera.

I dont claim to be an expert or even list this as instruction, but I have been using self harvest wood for the past year now and decided to share what works for me.

I found this small burl attached to the base of this tree cutting and decided to see what I could make of it. It was very dark and weathered but I hoped it held some beauty inside.
200831191113_demo1.jpg

I planned my cuts for little waste, and used my bandsaw to slice the wood in 1 1/8" thickness. This leaves room for error, not so straight cuts, and shrinkage.

20083119180_demo2.jpg

200831193449_demo3.jpg

Next I cut the slabs to square blanks. I started saving all of the cuttings so I can try my hand at some of those worthless wood resin blanks we all see.

200831192033_demo4.jpg

With the use of a few old cake pans and some denatured alcohol, I soak the blanks for 1 to 2 days, depending on the moisture in the blanks. I judge this by how much runs out when cutting. You can get the DA for about $13 a gallon. I filter and reuse after each process, so a little goes a long way.

200831192219_demo5.jpg

Ater the soaking period I wrap each blank in a double layered half sheet of newspaper, folding the ends closed while rolling and held shut with masking tape. I throw them all in a box and place in a warm place. My shop is a little cold so I store them in the back of the utility closet. Now comes the hard part... Waiting for 30 to 40 days. After the wait, I take only a couple out first and unwrap, watching for a couple days to make sure there is no change, checking, bending, etc. This is how I know they are good to go.

200831192846_demo6.jpg

After that they go to the blank rack and await their transformation!

The 2 lower shelves are self cut and dried. Ive had success with oak burl, sycamore, maple, box elder, cherry, mulberry, and osage orange. Great turnings all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Soaking green wood in DNA is a process used by bowl turners. The bowl is rough turned so the thickness of the walls is about 10% of the diameter of the bowl. The bowl is then placed overnight in DNA. Then it is wrapped in a brown paper bag and left on the shelf for 4 to 6 weeks before being put back on the lathe for final turning and finishing.

The process helps to speed up the drying of the wood and to reduce warping and checking during the drying process.

Other methods include boiling the rough turned bowl in water for a couple of hours or soaking the bowl overnight in a 50/50 mix of dish washing liquid and water.

When you are drying objects the size of bowl blanks the dish washing method is cheaper. You can also reuse it.

I have a bunch of rough turned bowls and blanks drying in brown paper bags at the moment. I used the dish washing liquid. I have opened the bags once a week to check on them and measure the moisture content. They are drying nicely and with minimal checking and warping. It is the first time I am trying something like this.

Like John said, the hard part is the waiting!

Hope this helps.

VisExp

It must be the type you use in the sink, not the type you use in the automated dishwasher. Most of the articles I have read recomend the Costco brand. We don't have a Costco near us so I just got Dawn, I think. Try get the clearer or amber color. Apparently there is less chance of it staining the wood.

Here are some more articles:

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=313

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/turning/articles_473.shtml

Sorry John, I hope I haven't hijacked your thread.

JohnU

Rich, this piece was not as green as some have been. I have used this method on green pear, mulberry and maple and it worked great. Thanks for the addition Keith. I'll have to try the dishsoap as well.

Top Bottom