Burgundy Wood Sugestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Elliott

Hi,

Does anyone have suggestions for a nice Burgundy wood; a nice grain pattern would be a bonus.

Thanks,
Elliott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
There's really only one wood that looks like burgundy and that is Madagascar rosewood, aka Bois de rose. It is a deep, rich burgundy color, most frequently found with black lines running through it.

alamocdc

I'll second Lou's Boise de Rose suggestion. Is something like this burgandy enough?

Image Insert:
20069703236_elpresidenteSL_boisderose.jpg

Elliott

That pen has perfect color.

I heard one time or another that Rose Woods can be a hazard to work with. I work in my basement(Too cold in Canada to work in a garage) so I avoiding the use of exotics with strong properties. [out went my beloved cocobolo :( ]. What is your take on this?

Thanks,
Elliott

GoodTurns

any wood can be a hazard if you do it right! some just need more motivation to be turned into projectiles! I have turned several BdR blanks and have had no allergy problems with it...It does like to "bleed" but makes for a real nice color. It will darken with age to almost black. If you have any cutoffs when you make up a pen, sit it in a windowsill and check it a few days later, especially where the cut side was. Big ROb sells it. I have several pieces if you want to make a trade to try it out.

alamocdc

Elliot, I've not had a problem with rosewoods (yet), but I has a DC running at the lathe to help me avoid such issues, and I wear my Triton when sanding larger pieces for extra assurance. The DC seems to do a good job of collecting the sanding dust from pens.

Elliott

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dust collection is a must, and I have rigged up a nice little system for my shop using a shopvac and some pvc pluming pipe. I was also thinking of suplimenting with an air filter for when i am not in shop. I don't get much air circulation in MY little corner of the house so it would be nice to add some.

- E

M

monkeynutz

I have done pens with Bolivian Rosewood in the past, and some of them were quite "winey" in color. Nice figure, too.

I have quite a bit of bois de rose for sale if you are interested.
url]

These blanks are just 5 random blanks I grabbed out of the pile. I sell 3/4" x 5-1/4" blanks for $4.00 ea. I have a few 3/4" x 4-3/4" to 5" that I would sell for $3.75. Shipping would be at what ever Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope is plus PayPal fees (.31 + 3%). There is no handling fee. Just pm me if you're interested.

RonInSpringTX

I got a 6"x6"x2" block of redwood (calif,oregon,wash. I'm guessing) from CSUSA. Has more brownish than red in it, but you may want to check it out. I'm gonna cut it up for 4 bottle-stoppers & 4 pens.

good luck,
Ronnie

Top Bottom