bullet sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Jason, PM Gary Max. He sells the casings in the MVV listing and he should be able to tell what sizes that work well.

jthompson1995

What bullets are the "right" size for making pens with?

308 - yes
30-30?
30-06
44?
243?
50 cal

others?

I have a guy asking if I can make a few out of the 30-30, 44 and 243 before he mails me the casings.

Thanks!

The 30-30 and 30-06 use use the same diameter bullet as the 308. I got some 30-30 casings and the primer end has a flange instead of an indent like the 308 and 30-06 and it didn't seem like it would be comfortable to have that lip rubbing on your hand as you wrote.

Sylvanite

Any of those calibers can be made into a pen. I've made pens from 308Win, 30-30Win, 30-06Spg, and 243Win (et. al.). I've seen other pens here made from 44Mag and 50BMG.

Personally, I didn't much care for how the 30-30 came out, and haven't made another since. I like to use a bullet for the nib, and the 30-30 is typically loaded with a round or flat-nose bullet which doesn't suit that purpose. Somebody familiar with 30-30 will recognize a spitzer-style bullet as being out-of-place on that caliber.

Seriously though, the primary limitation is your imagination - not the caliber.

Regards,
Eric

pssherman

I agree with Eric, the caliber is not really an issue if you have a good imagination. I wrote the tutorial on the 50 BMG, made a pen & pencil set out of 105 mm howitser shells and started work on a pen from the 5.56 mm (223). So any size can be made to work if you are willing to work at it.

amosfella

I would think that rimmed cartridges are not the best. The rimless would be better. Just my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree.
Also, I don't think that round nose shells make the best looking nibs....

rherrell

I use the 25.06 exclusively for mine. I do so because the casing fits the regular "A" mandrel perfectly. This makes it extremely easy to perform alot of different operations, especially polishing. Also, a 7mm tube centers itself in the shoulder which eliminates alot of hassle.
The 25.06 uses the exact same case as the 30.06, the only difference is the neck has been reduced to accept the 25 caliber bullet. The 25 cal. is too small for a slimline nib but I only use real bullets so it's not a problem.

Top Bottom