bullet question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

hi guys i need some info on bullet pens. i have made several as in matter of fact cant keep them in stock, but the ones that i do have left over from last years show has turned a little green. my question is i have seen where people dip their shells in laccquer ( not spelled right) how do i go about doing this do i just dip the shell and let the access drain off and repeat or is there a different way to do it. thanks for the nelp.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Akula

I just polish them with Brasso on the lathe, then dry well. Low speed, I put on a thin lacquer, take off and hang to dry. I have not had any problem doing this way, no runs, no drips and no errors LOL

Sylvanite

As others have said, most any polish (or even just 0000 steel wool) will remove the tarnish. Polishes made for brass will be more efficient. There are lacquers that are specially formulated for brass as well. These will be more durable than regular dipping lacquer.

I've used Staybrite brass lacquer (in a spray can), and also DuraCoat firearm finish (which lasts longer), but neither is as tough as powdercoat.

Regards,
Eric

snyiper

I have never seen a comparison between Duracoat and powdercoat but it sure would be nice to see. I have a gun duracoated and that is some tough stuff!!!

Sylvanite

...a comparison between Duracoat and powdercoat ... would be nice to see.
Last year, I picked up some Duracoat to try out. I made a 2-case cartridge pen (30-06 / 308). I Duracoated the lower barrel and powdercoated the upper. Then I carried the pen in my pants pocket along with my car keys for a few months. The keys nicked both barrels. I was able to buff the scratches out of the powdercoated half with steel wool, but the same treatment took the Duracoat off.

I since replaced the lower barrel with a powdercoated 2nd Amendment cartridge and it's my regular shop pen now.

I think Duracoat would stand up well to ordinary pen use. After all, keys will damage just about any finish. Come summer, when I can resume airbrushing outside, I plan to offer Duracoat as a cartridge pen kit finish. Powdercoating, however, is still my choice for durability.

Regards,
Eric

snyiper

Good info to know Eric..I am set up to do duracoat and amd looking into powder coat Ill see which is more cost effective...Im guessing Powdercoat.

Sylvanite

I am set up to do duracoat and amd looking into powder coat Ill see which is more cost effective.
I suspect it may boil down to your batch size. Duracoat is a catalyzed finish, so whatever you mix and don't spray gets wasted. Combine that with the material price, and you'll want to batch your work.

Then again, I'm using a low-temp powder that costs double the price of regular powder. Plus, I cure in an oven designed for powdercoating which I've had to amortize. I'm on my second gun which is more frugal with powder than the first one. I don't try to reclaim unbaked powder.

Once you overcome the equipment costs, powdercoat may be less expensive, especially since it has a much longer shelf life. I've also found that powder paint adheres to polished brass better than most other finishes.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom