Bullet pens and Powder coating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have read some posts here on the use of powder coating on cartridges for bullet pens. Some of you like it and some do not . I am curious does this make the pen less likely to tarnish and is it durable enough for everyday use and the accasional dropping. I have read that the cartridge discolors with the heat. Is there anyone who has a comparison with one with powdercoat and one with either lacquer or just polished???

If I decide to add powder coating to my learning curve what is needed and where can it be obtained??? Also is there any tutorials on powdercoating???

I tell you I am really wanting to try the bullet pens and have been reading so many different posts and ways people do these my head is spinning. But will give it a try for sure. Thanks for the replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

IMO powder coating is the only way to go. The copper bullet discolors slightly but you can't tell unless you put it next to one that isn't PC'd. To me the advantage of having a virtually indestructable finish outweighs the slight color change.
I get all my supplies here... http://store.columbiacoatings.com/
Click on "powders" and then"Super High Gloss Clear TGIC".
The gun they sell is the same as the one as Harbor Freight sells so try HF first for sales. I have the same gun and while it's not top of the line by any stretch of the imagination, it works fine for pens. The learning curve is low and they sell a book called "Beginning Powder Coaters Handbook" thats pretty good.
You can get a gun and a couple pounds of powder for under $100. I use a toaster oven I got from Goodwill for $15. Get yourself a big cardboard box for a spray booth and make a metal rack with bolts to hold the casings. Make a metal turntable for the rack to sit on while spraying and cover everything with aluminum foil. DONE!

jttheclockman

Rick and William, thanks for the reply. I really think I am going to give this a try. I am going to hunt down the parts. Heck if it doesn't work out I can always powdercoat all my turning tools.

jttheclockman

Thats great. HF has a 15% sale this weekend so will be picking it up along with other things. Simce they opened a store in my area I find I spend too much money in there.

Top Bottom