bullet pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

i saw a video a few months back that showed u how to silver soilder ( not spelled right) could some one tell me where i can find it at i have a order for several cxrome 270 pens with deer antler tops and i want to make sure that they dont pull the tube out when taking the top off
any info would be welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

i saw a video a few months back that showed u how to silver soilder ( not spelled right) could some one tell me where i can find it at i have a order for several cxrome 270 pens with deer antler tops and i want to make sure that they dont pull the tube out when taking the top off
any info would be welcome

I get yelled at for writing this but it is so true. Check the library. There is a great article or two in there. Not that we don't want to be helpful but some times reading will help solve all questions. Shush and don't make noise in the library:biggrin: ...Cartridge Pen(How To Drill A Bullet) by Rick Herrell (2007)

Last edited:

Sylvanite

That's an interesting video. I solder mine a little differently, with a torch at the case head (so I can use a bullet for the nib), but the basic process is still the same. If you're interested in coming to Hillsborough sometime, I can show you my method.

Regards,
Eric

rherrell

You don't need silver solder, the stuff in the plumbing dept. at the hardware store will work. Just make sure that you use a paste flux and that all the parts, including the iron, are CLEAN! CLEAN is the key when soldering.:wink: I use 220 grit silicon carbide paper to sand the oxidation off the brass tube and around the hole in the casing.

By the way, my article in the library shows me soldering on the INSIDE of the tube...I don't recommend that anymore. After you drill the hole for the tube, chamfer(countersink) it a little. Then cut your tube about 1/4" long and solder around the OUTSIDE, the chamfer will provide a little "valley" for the solder to sit in. You can trim the tube after you solder it.
Then drill out the tube with a SHORT 1/4" drill bit about 3/8" deep, no more than that. That will allow the transmission to slide past the headcase. You CAN omit this step but it makes the transmission hard to install.

Last edited:

Jgrden

Sweating

What does the artist use to CENTER the 7 mm tube??? I thought he said "shrink wrap" but would that not melt under the heat of the iron?? I use a 8 mm tube and insert the 7 mm tube. It should still take solder. He did not use flux. The only thing I did not do is sand off the brass.

Thoughts? I'd prefer using this method for the exact reasons he cited.

ctubbs

He used a flux core solder, possibly rosin core. The experience I have had with solder shows to use rosin core when working with copper instead of acid flux. Over time I have found Acid flux to tend to cause corrosion if not cleaned very thourly(SP). On all electronics, the use of acid flux will void the warrenty. It appears that he is using electronics solder.
Charles

Bellsy

Here is a video I made a while ago. The process has been refine a bit, but the basic concept is still the same.

This video has a slight delay in it before starting to play. If you are not on high speed I do not recommend trying to watch this video.

Edit: The quoted measurements are not correct (0.270" & 0.275") They were meant to be 0.240" and 0.245"

Soldering

Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom