Bullet Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbyrd24

I know this subject has been discussed many times before. But........
I was wondering if anyone has a simple tutorial on making one.
I have a number of 308 cartriges. At some point someone emailed
me the info. but for the life I me I can't find them. Just wondering.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Boyd

I just made my first one yesterday. My method requires a metal lathe. I am pretty good at picking up pointers from what other people say but these shell casing pens ain't that way[xx(]

its_virgil

Look in my IAP folder or in my Y! album at http://www.tinyurl.com/bmsy4 and see if that is what you are asking about? I think the bullet is unique and I like the look, but others disagree. The lead is difficult to drill. It is soft and causes problems plus it is tricky to hold being so soft.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />Has someone ever made a "Bullet" pen, all the pens I have seen so far are utilizing the shell casings or cartridges but not bullets.

laspringer

I'm with its virgil on this I think the bullet makes the pen look original. I have got to tell you that some of the pens that use the pen nib look very good.Check my album for images.

Alan

Rifleman1776

Don, most rifle bullets available are brass jacketed. All lead, copper and a few other specialty types are available but brass jacketed are 99% of what's on the market. But a brass jacketed bullet should be easy to hold in a simple wood clamp with a couple grooves, similar to the popular blank drilling vice. That might even work. Yes, drilling soft lead can be problematic but going slow should work. The jacketed bullets do have soft lead cores. If someone wants to try this, I suggest a bullet style like the Sierra MatchKing in .308 diameter. This is a hollow-point style that gives you a center hole for starting your drill.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by laspringer
<br />I'm with its virgil on this I think the bullet makes the pen look original. I have got to tell you that some of the pens that use the pen nib look very good.Check my album for images.

Alan

Alan, while your pens using the slug do look more authenic, no question, to my eye, they don't look like they would be comfortable to write with. My experience with shell casing pens is extremely limited, but I like the look of the copper kit I used on one some time ago to get the "authenic" look.

5163112_300%20Win%20mag%20slimline%20with%20antler.jpg
<br />

its_virgil

I've developed a system for holding the lead bullets...drilling slow is a must...shallow cuts and clean out often. the one I use are copper clad. Holding with a wooden clamp was not successful as the bullet just spun in the wood clamp..for me at least. When the bit gets into the lead center the lead and bit become one and spins in the copper jacket or the whole bullet spins. It was fun (sorta) figuring out how to hole'em.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Don, most rifle bullets available are brass jacketed. All lead, copper and a few other specialty types are available but brass jacketed are 99% of what's on the market. But a brass jacketed bullet should be easy to hold in a simple wood clamp with a couple grooves, similar to the popular blank drilling vice. That might even work. Yes, drilling soft lead can be problematic but going slow should work. The jacketed bullets do have soft lead cores. If someone wants to try this, I suggest a bullet style like the Sierra MatchKing in .308 diameter. This is a hollow-point style that gives you a center hole for starting your drill.

Canuck Turner

Hi
What I do is center punch the bullet end that is crimed into the cartidge and drill it out from that side being carful not to put a hole into the side. I then ise a rotary rasp on my Dremal tool to clean out the bullet. I the turn the bullet over and drill from the tip. I use hollow points so it gives me a start.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom