bullet pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenPauli

I have made one or two 30-06 casing pens. My question is what do you guys do with the pen tube in the casing, because there is a gap of a few thousanths between the slimline tube and the open end of the casing. I have in the past turned a blank down to the size which is very thin. But it seems to take too much time, it should be easier. I wonder if any of you making these have an easier way. Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlh

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />The best way is not always the easiest, it's just the best.
Good answer Eagle! That should be of great help![:(]

Paul
Look up Knottyharry under Members. Send him an e-mail through here. He will be glad to HELP you. His method works quite well![:D]

smoky10

One thing you could do is use gorilla glue and make sure the tube is centered. When the glue sets it will hold the tube in place. I actually have used this method and I have turned a piece of wood to fit.

Sawdustier

Well since I figured CA would stabilize anything, I wrapped a small square of single layer Viva paper towel around the lower portion of the tube (just once around) and doused it with thin CA. A little spritz with accelerator, a small amount of sanding, and it fit just fine.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have said it in the past and will point out that you are trying to ask a lot of a very small glue joint.
If your lathe is true, the best way is to turn an insert got the shell casing.
That way there is no mickey maousing around to "hopefully keep the tube centered.
The neck of the casing has a given diameter, the inserted piece is a given diameter.
If all you are doing is inserting the tube through the primer hole and hoping it will stay in the Ccenter for the nib, you will have a design that belongs in Disneyland.
I am sure Goofy will approve it because it was dreamed up by Mickey Mouse.
I contend the best way is not always the easiest.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by PenPauli
<br /> I have in the past turned a blank down to the size which is very thin. But it seems to take too much time, it should be easier. I wonder if any of you making these have an easier way. Thanks for your help.

I have used .308's for pens, and turn down the wood to fill the gap. What saved me a lot of time was to cut one shell in several places to use for sizing rings. No more measuring.

Like this:

20058150720_rings.jpg
<br />

hombre4

Turning a blank down would be a lot of work. Why not buy a 3/8 dowel and turn it down? I use a plastic dowel 3/8 x 3" and drill the center then turn it down, then use 80 grit to get it to dimension and cut (with a utility knife) only what I need to center the insert which is about 1/4", not the whole length of the insert. That 3" piece makes enough for 12 casings. I use the plastic because it cuts easier than wood. The wood dowel would be more app to break than the plastic.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by hombre4
<br />Turning a blank down would be a lot of work. Why not buy a 3/8 dowel and turn it down? I use a plastic dowel 3/8 x 3" and drill the center then turn it down, then use 80 grit to get it to dimension and cut (with a utility knife) only what I need to center the insert which is about 1/4", not the whole length of the insert. That 3" piece makes enough for 12 casings. I use the plastic because it cuts easier than wood. The wood dowel would be more app to break than the plastic.
What kind of glue are you using on the "plastic' and what kind of plastic is it?
Why make two pieces when one works best?

hombre4

I don't know what the plastic is and for the glue, I am using ca thick and a 5 minute epoxy. Haven't had any trouble as of yet with either. I only use one piece in the case neck to take up the space and to center the insert, for the primer end I use an "I" bit and it fits nice and snug. The 3" piece I cut makes for 12 pieces, enough for 6 pens. I stated earlier that was for 12 pens but I use two pieces for each pen. One for the top barrel and one for the bottom barrel.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Try your method with a "Parker style" kit.8 mm tube.
My point is once you perfect a method for one particular type of casing it can be transferable to other kits i.e. The dimensions change but the concept is the same.
"Parker Kit" PKMON PAR from PSI

2005816123234_Artisans%20009.jpg
<br />
Cigar kit:
cigar%20antler%20casing.jpg

You will find the inside of the casings a little large to have the tubes "float" on center and hope they stay there.
Also because of construction,you need an exact length for a Parker refill.
To have the casing hollow with just two contact points for the glue to "hit" is asking for trouble if you intend to sell these pens.
To each his own.You mileage may vary

its_virgil

Life is too short to argue the best method for bullet pens. The best method is what works for each of us. No one has the correct way, the better way, or the best way, just a way that works. If a method works for you, perfect it to make it better and you may find a better way. If you want to share you method share away...if not then that's cool too. As for me, the nib looks better if the lead bullet is used instead of the kit nib. Just my opinion. Now, go make a bullet casing pen.
do a good turn daily!
Don

hombre4

OK, seems we are right back from the begining. Here's an ideal,fill the case with epoxy or another filler that will harden. After it hardens, drill it out to size. Now you have something in the case that definitely will not come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom