Bullet Pen Terminology

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Here is an article that shows the anatomy of a rifle cartridge and the names of all the parts. I hope it proves helpful to those who make and sell "bullet pens".

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• Bullet Pen Anatomy.pdf
    115.9 KB · Views: 570
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pioneerpens

Thanks Eric,
I would like to try and make my own..and not being farmiliar with all the specifics, that tutorial really helps... Is there anywhere to get bullets that you don't need to buy a gross?

jtdesigns

Most sporting goods stores that carry reloading supplies have them in bags of 50. I bought bag last week, brand new Winchester 30-06 for $$23.00

jskeen

Thanks Eric,
I would like to try and make my own..and not being farmiliar with all the specifics, that tutorial really helps... Is there anywhere to get bullets that you don't need to buy a gross?

There are bullets that work for making pens, and then there are bullets that work really well for making pens. Most commercial/sporting bullets are intended to deform or mushroom on impact to impart the maximum kinetic energy to (relatively) thin skinned game and so have fairly thin, soft copper jackets. Not Ideal for supporting a ballpoint refill. I find that surplus GI 30 caliber rounds with the military "FMJ" projectiles are much sturdier due to the steel jacket all the way to the tip. The lead can be melted out instead of drilled, and the tip drilled without fear of the thin copper bending.

However, this does necessitate disassembly of live rounds, which requires some specialized tools and training. Both of those are fairly cheap and easily acquired, at least if you live in a red state. I don't know about the peoples republics of right and left coasts.

Pioneerpens

thanks for the info guys!
jskeen: I know my limitations~ I have NO intention of pretending I can play around with live rounds of anything....I am rather attached to my fingers and would like to keep it that way :)

Thanks

Very helpful I am an avid hunter and you hit all points right on. Now to give it to my wife and in-laws to read so they understand:party:

Jesse

Top Bottom