Bullet Pen question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwisher

I have shown a few people at work the bullet pen I made from Rockler with the rifle clip and a couple people want to order one or a few from me but they all HATE the rifle clip. I am wondering if I could change it out to a fancy slim line clip or a Euro clip? I am not home now so I can't get into the shop to check it out. And even if I were home I don't think I could make it into the shop for a couple of days while I dig out all this snow we just got dumped on us :eek:. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Yeah. You should be able to, I made the same kit, and it looks to me like a different clip would fit. I also dislike the rifle clip, so does my friend I made one for. But other than that, it's a really nice kit. I don't know how something as cheesy as that rifle clip made it that far into the production process before someone said something.

Drstrangefart

Also, the pen feels like a treat to write with. I put pine cone core on mine and the one I gifted. REALLY gets attention. The pine cone ALMOST overshadows the cheesy clip.

gwisher

I think its probably my favorite pen to write with out of all that I've made. I bet pine cone would look good, I will have to try that. I'd like to see them come out with more caliber kits like a .223 for out SWAT team members!

Drstrangefart

58657_106241872769220_100001502242963_48176_2486945_n.jpg

There one is. I use the core from certain breeds. The core's gotta be pretty beefy to do this, but it can be done.

its_virgil

Instead of using the cartridge kits the only have replica rifle shells you could use real rifle shells, lead bullets and your favorite 7mm kits. Then, you can make whatever caliber is needed. Just a thought. Compared to the real thing, these replica kits are a bit cheesy. Just my opinion. There is an ample amount of info on how to use real shells plus several members who make the shell parts ready to use.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I think its probably my favorite pen to write with out of all that I've made. I bet pine cone would look good, I will have to try that. I'd like to see them come out with more caliber kits like a .223 for out SWAT team members!

gwisher

I have looked into making my own shells but I am having trouble finding the brass locally. I have gone to a couple ranges that I know used to sell old brass and they said they no longer sell it instead they just recycle it. And if I wanted to purchase it I'd need to buy about 20lbs. That seems like a little much. But I think I will give it a try in the future. if you use a 7mm kit can you still use a scmidt refill and mechanism?

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

That is correct. I've done about 17 pens using real .308 and 30-06 shells Dad scored on Ebay. They have almost the same feel as the other kit, and you just replace the bottom tube on a slimline with 'em. Opens up a lot more room to play with 'em. I'm sitting on about 5 of that one with pine cone on them.

its_virgil

Do you know a hunter who does not reload? Ask for the empties. Maybe you know several friends who hunt. You can purchase as few as 50 pieces of brass at http://www.midwayusa.com and probably other places. I have been making rifle shell pens for 10 years and only remember purchasing empty brass one time. They are available if you do some checking and asking. Ebay may be a good source but I find friends who hunt to be an invaluable source. I came home a few days ago to find a pkg of empties by my front door. A free pen works wonders.

7mm kits use the cross style refill and other ball point kits use the parker style refill. Did you really mean "schmidt" refill? If so, I am confused. Schmidt refills are used on rollerball pens. But, maybe schmidt makes cross or parker style refills.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have looked into making my own shells but I am having trouble finding the brass locally. I have gone to a couple ranges that I know used to sell old brass and they said they no longer sell it instead they just recycle it. And if I wanted to purchase it I'd need to buy about 20lbs. That seems like a little much. But I think I will give it a try in the future. if you use a 7mm kit can you still use a scmidt refill and mechanism?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You can order as few as 20 cartridges from Midway - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=1601152934

gwisher

Yes sorry I means Parker, I am still half asleep from all this darn snow we got.

Do you know a hunter who does not reload? Ask for the empties. Maybe you know several friends who hunt. You can purchase as few as 50 pieces of brass at http://www.midwayusa.com and probably other places. I have been making rifle shell pens for 10 years and only remember purchasing empty brass one time. They are available if you do some checking and asking. Ebay may be a good source but I find friends who hunt to be an invaluable source. I came home a few days ago to find a pkg of empties by my front door. A free pen works wonders.

7mm kits use the cross style refill and other ball point kits use the parker style refill. Did you really mean "schmidt" refill? If so, I am confused. Schmidt refills are used on rollerball pens. But, maybe schmidt makes cross or parker style refills.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Rmartin

I agree with Don about making your own.

These are my best selling pens by far, but then I live in a military and hunting town.

I buy unprimed 3006 & 308 shells online. It can be a bother to knock the primer out of a once fired. The hollow point bullets can be harder to find, but it's worth it. I like to use the copper clip to match the copper bullet and a chrome clip on nickel plated shells.

The finished pen can be made for less than 5 dollars.

gwisher

Do you buy a slim or sierra kit and part it out for the transmission and the clips or can you purchase these separate?

I think they are going to be good sellers for me as well since I work in Law Enforcement and have already had some interest from the "kit" one I made.

I agree with Don about making your own.

These are my best selling pens by far, but then I live in a military and hunting town.

I buy unprimed 3006 & 308 shells online. It can be a bother to knock the primer out of a once fired. The hollow point bullets can be harder to find, but it's worth it. I like to use the copper clip to match the copper bullet and a chrome clip on nickel plated shells.

The finished pen can be made for less than 5 dollars.

Last edited:

Rmartin

I use the slimline chrome, gold, and copper kits. Look around and you can find them for less than 2 bucks apiece. The parts can be purchased separately, but not sure if there's any savings. The unprimed shells are easy to drill with 7mm HHS bit. I drill the back of the bullet just enough to break the copper casing, and then melt the lead out with a torch.

its_virgil

As another poster noted, I also use slimline kits. i like the PSI comfort and trimline kits as the clip has more of an offset and larger caps can be made. Also, the Berea streamline slimline is quite similar to the PSI trimline.

There are several ways to put the tube into the cartridge. I have some articles on my website if you want to take a look. You will find them at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles and also you will find several articles in our library and even more information searching archived posts.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Do you buy a slim or sierra kit and part it out for the transmission and the clips or can you purchase these separate?

I think they are going to be good sellers for me as well since I work in Law Enforcement and have already had some interest from the "kit" one I made.

Rick_G

Check for a gun show nearby. You should be able to get just about any size cartridge you want in quantities as low as a dozen or so. Possibly even get the bullets to go with the cartridges to use as the nib section. You can even use sierra or cigar transmissions with the 308 and 30-06 to use a parker refill.

gwisher

The biggest selling point for me on the Rockler kit was the Parker refill. This thing writes like a dream, now if I put in a private reserve refill I can only imagine (so I've heard, as I haven't tried them yet)

Top Bottom