Bullet Pen Projectiles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dorno

Good evening everyone
Can someone please tell me what size projectile would be best suited to make cartridge pens using 308 shells. Will 130grain JHP do the job or do I need somthing else ?

Thanks Ian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I like the Sierra 168gr "Match" projectile. You might also consider Berger Bullets 168gr Match Target VLD(the VLD-very low drag, meaning the nib you get from it will be longer, skinnier). Both come in Moly coat also, but that tends to end up mostly on your fingers, unless you coat it with something.

Depending on the actual supplier of those 130grJHP, the actual 'Hollow Point" can vary somewhat in diameter...

Scott (reloading is another hobby) B

lane223

Like SDB77 said, Hollow point diameters can very. Also It might be a little short. What would be your finished overall length?

I also like the Sierra 168 HPBT. It gives me enough length so that the twist mechanism can be seated far enough into the cartridge.

lane223

SDB777. You use Bergers for your Pens??? They'd be better off down range ;). Also see if you can find PRVI 168gr HPBT. They are cheaper then Sierras. Look the same, and are great for pen making, and shooting anything within 100 yds. Other than that, well.... like I said they make great tips for pens.

Sylvanite

I've used several different bullets in my pen kits. The only ones to avoid are hollow-points that already have a larger hole than you want. Otherwise, as long as it has a profile you like, it will work.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom