Bullet pen profile

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

I am wondering what profile you use on the turned upper barrel of a bullet pen. I realize it is a matter of preference, but am curious what you think looks the best.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Which bullet pen? For the ones with a cartridge on bottom and full custom top, I like them with a slight curve, nothing too fancy...

Mark

I aim for this. But it's always nice to change it up a bit here and there. I'm not too particular about the overall shape, just the match of the cartridge head diameter.

Attachments

• Bullet 0007.jpg
    Bullet 0007.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Bullet 0006.jpg
    Bullet 0006.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 162

jskeen

I personally don't care for the upper barrel to sit flat against the base of the cartridge. I usually either use a Euro centerband and turn the rim of the cartridge slightly so that it fits up into the band, or part off the base of a second cartridge and use that as a centerband. I lean more to the second option now. Pic 3 is another option using a single cartridge and just parting the centerband out of the middle.

Attachments

• PICT0012-4.jpg
    PICT0012-4.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 379
  • PICT0073a.JPG
    PICT0073a.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 159
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 134

juteck

Considering the 7mm slimlines using the standard finial, I try to match the diameter of the casing and make a sharp rounded taper at the finial end. I don't like the longer taper that goes straight from the casing to the finial. I've also found that different clips look different too -- the ball clips (like on the 7mm designer series) seem to fit best; the straight clips don't fit as well, and seem to have too narrow of a gap between the clip and pen body. The last bullet pen I made, I used the insert from a 7mm European into the 7mm tube, and threaded the flat top finial from the 8mm American kit - the body diameter was almost the same at both the casing end and the flat top finial end.

Here's one with the std 7mm finial and straight clip - you can see how close the clip gets to the body:
2_300-weatherby.jpg

Here are a few more with different clips and profiles - the deer head and rifle clips also get close to the body, but the ball style clips stand proud:
1_bullet-pens.jpg

Here's one with the flat top American finial and clip:
1_army-bullet.jpg

PaulDoug

I've been thinking of trying one where the top blank, at the finial end mocked the shape of the cartridge butt. A grove up there with a flat top the matches the cartridge. Haven't done it yet so I don't know how it would look.

Mark

I got this design from an article by Barry Gross. I've never tried to duplicate it in acrylic though.

Attachments

• Bullet 0005.jpg
    Bullet 0005.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 184
Top Bottom