Bullet Pen Instructions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

I think the two most important considerations are that your pen kit's nib end match the casing opening and that your tube be able to fit inside the casing. Knotty Harry is one of the most knowledgeable cartridge pen makers around. Check with him and some of the other guys who've posted bullet pen pix here and do a search as Greg said. [:)]

knottyharry

Hi Sam,
There are several in the forum who make the pens.
I am only one. I've seen some really nice ones from the others. And they all have their favorites, and their own particular way of making them.
I sent you an email.
Harry

TexasJohn

Hey Guys - I'm a newbie here also. Today I was talking with a friend of mine who is in the Border Patrol. I was telling him about the pens you guys make from spent cartridges. He asked if I could make one for him and I told him I would be willing to try. If you would'nt mind me jumping on the band wagon, I would appreciate any assistance you could provide - and I hope you don't mind me butting in. TIA Texas John

wudwrkr

Mannie. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm going to have to try this.

Now, how to get the shells? Guess I'm going to have to shoot something! [:D]

Royce Meritt

There certainly are lots of ways to make the bullet pens and people here who probably make better ones that I do. However, I have made a bunch and the following techniques work for me. (Sorry for the length of this post. Sometimes I just like to hear myself "talk".)

1. I use .308 cal. casings. The nib fits nicely and these casings are only a VERY tiny bit shorter than a slimline tube. This extra tube length is easily trimmed away.

2. Drill out the primer end of the casing to fit your tube. I made a simple wooden jig to hold the casing in my drill press vise. The drill bit I use is ever so slightly larger than the outside diameter of the brass tube but I deal with this in the next step.

3. Cut a piece of masking tape into a strip about 4 or 5 inches long by about 1/8" wide.

4. Wrap a small amount of this tape around one end of the brass tube about 1/16" from the end. This tape will keep the tube centered in the hole you drilled in the primer end of the casing. The base of the casing has more thickness to it than you might realize but don't put your tape too far from the end of the tube or it won't keep the tube centered. (If you use a drill bit EXACTLY the size of the tube you won't need to do this.)

5. Wrap some more of your masking tape around the other end of the brass tube about 1/8" from the end. This tape will keep the tube centered in the neck end of the casing. This will take a bit more tape as the neck end is considerably larger that the brass tube. (You want a nice snug fit on both ends of the tube/ casing so the tube is nicely centered.) By keeping the tape just a smidge below the ends of the tube there is room for a little glue to get between the tube and the inside of the casing and you are actually gluing the tube to the casing not just the masking tape.

6. Apply glue to the tube. (I use poly glue because it expands and fills up the space between the tube and inside of the casing.) Insert the tube (with your two strips of masking tape) into the neck end of the casing, inserting the primer end first. Make sure everything is centered and allow glue to cure.

7. Once glue is cured trim the small amount of extra tube length away. Install casing onto your mandrel and buff/polish/finish however you like.

8. Turning the top section of the pen is pretty standard pen turning. I have used wood, antler and Delrin. I usually use regular slimline bushings and make a somewhat "wasp-waisted" shape to the top of the pen. This allows me to use a "standard" slimline center band. I like this look because with a small center band you can actually still see the writing that is imprited on the base of the shell casing but because the turning is "wasp-waisted" it still gives a nice hefty, balanced look to the pen. Sometimes, if I am making the top of the pen from something other than antler I make a small antler center band.

9. Assemble the pen and you are done with youe masterpiece.

As I said, this is simply the technique I've come up with and it works for me. People seem to like the way they turn out. I've actually been lucky enough to sell A LOT of these without really trying.

Hope this is of some value.

Draken

I received brand new casings from my FIL for use in pens. I've read about problems with live primers, and I'm assuming new casings are live. How can I safely take care of the primers? Glad I looked into it before taking a drill to it...

Draken

Thumbs

Draken, if the casings are <b>brand new</b> they won't have primers in them. Look at the flat end, is there a hole there? If so nothing to worry about. If there isn't and there is a dimple in the center piece and no slug in the other end, then there is nothing to worry about. If it has a smooth slightly rounded piece in the center or that and a slug at the other end, too. Then! You better make friends with your FIL! [:0] And fast![}:)][;)]

Draken

Thanks, Thumbs, shows what I get for going on memory. Could have sworn there was a different colored metal in the tail end of these things. Just went to look, and sure enough, just a hole. Looks like nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom