Bullet Pen ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

I'd be more worried about the primer at this point, Jared. The only safe way to remove a primer is to fire it first. Yes, I have been stupid and pressed them out using my reloading equipment, but that was years ago when I was younger and more foolhardy. After the primer is safely removed a .30 cal bullet can be reseated esily enough, and you can by a box of them for a few $$$.

Sylvanite

The cheapest and easiest way to disassemble loaded ammunition is with an "intertial bullet puller" such as this one from Midway USA:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=215517&t=11082005

Handloaders use this tool to slavage components from rounds that did not seat or crimp properly, giving rise to the term "reloader's eraser". Once the bullet is removed, you can safely dispose of smokeless powder either by spreading it like fertilizer, or by burning in small (less than a pound) uncontained piles. There will be marks on the bullet from the case mouth.

The safest way to dispose of the primer is to load the primed case in the intended weapon, and fire it with all the same safety precautions of a regular round. The fired case may tend to stick in the chamber. Then the spent primer can be removed with regular decapping tools. Many reloaders will decap live primers, but that is an unsafe practice. Chemical deactivation of primers (usually with oil such as WD-40) is not dependable.

Regards,
Eric

1JaredSchmidt

Too late. I talked to one of my friends and he said I could drill the primer out. I did and it just popped a little bit but it worked! Kind of scary though. I think I'll just start buying some bullets and casings seperate. Oh,I used my pen disassembler to get the bullet out. I wish I had a tutorial on how to make one. I'm trying to make the kind that has the bullet for the point and the casing to hold the twist mechanism. Thanks!:D:D:):)[:p]

pssherman

Originally posted by 1JaredSchmidt

Too late. I talked to one of my friends and he said I could drill the primer out. I did and it just popped a little bit but it worked! Kind of scary though. I think I'll just start buying some bullets and casings seperate. Excellent idea. Oh,I used my pen disassembler to get the bullet out. I wish I had a tutorial on how to make one. I'm trying to make the kind that has the bullet for the point and the casing to hold the twist mechanism. Thanks!:D:D:):)[:p]
Check out this article in the IAP library.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2007/streamlinedcartridgepen.pdf
I don't use a lower tube in my cartridge/bullet pens so I do things a bit differently. This article is well written and would provide an excellent starting point to work from. After doing some of these, you might want to experiment and try some modifications to see what else you can do.

EDIT: I just reread your original post. For the 30-06 you will need to use a tube since the casing is too long to be able to seat the transmission in the primer end, as you can with the 308.

CaptG

What Johnnie said, except after you kick your friend, have him return the favor for drilling a LIVE primer. You one lucky dude.:D

Sylvanite

Too late. I talked to one of my friends and he said I could drill the primer out. I did and it just popped a little bit but it worked! Kind of scary though.
Next time you want to disassemble a live round, let me know. I'd rather do a fellow penturner a favor than hear that someone was burned or even blinded when a primer ignited.
I wish I had a tutorial on how to make one. I'm trying to make the kind that has the bullet for the point and the casing to hold the twist mechanism.
There are a couple of IAP members (myself included) who sell rifle cartridges with a bullet for a nib, all drilled out and ready to assemble into a pen. You can view assembly instructions here:
http://littlerivercrafts.home.mindspring.com/Supplies/30-06Instructions.pdf.

If you want to drill and assemble the components yourself, there are a couple of tuorials on this website (one by Don Ward, and one by Rick Herrell) that detail slightly different techniques.

Regards,
Eric

1JaredSchmidt

Do you know anyone that would donate or trade some .50 cal. rounds? I thought they might work better. I got this pen done. I'll get a pic of it on here. It's not very good because it's my first.

pssherman

Do you know anyone that would donate or trade some .50 cal. rounds? I thought they might work better. I got this pen done. I'll get a pic of it on here. It's not very good because it's my first.
Jared,
Check out this tutorial in the IAP library to see what is involved.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2007/50BMG.pdf

I also sell the casings (no live primers) and bullets with a variety of options. Here is the thread listing what is available.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32124

If you want to do a trade, PM me with what you have and/or are willing to trade.

LabTrnr

It amazes me what some people think is a good idea, NEVER try to drill out a live primer. A friend at the turning club I belong to just told me a story about some kids that tried it and lost fingers and such.
There are many places to get once fired cartridges to use if you want to go that route. I bought some ready to go cartridges from Sylvanite and they were well worth the price and they make really nice pens without the extra work of prepping the cartridge.

Aderhammer

Your local cabelas sells bags of casings and you can buy the bullets also there. If you know a reloader ask them for spent primers, i'm sure they'll have tons (which reminds me, probably should throw some of those away, starting to pile up)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
You should start by kicking your own a$$ for listening to stupid advice, as far as 6', 325lbs, and 42yrs. I'm guessing he not the brightest bulb in the lamp if he thought it a good idea, and apparently you have a loose filament as well for listening.

Jarheaded

Jared, with a guy[:eek:)] that big you are right not to kick him from behind. I would prefer to kick his knee back the wrong way and slowly walk away laughing....LOL...but that is me[}:)] not you. It sounds like a simple misunderstanding and luckily noone got hurt[B)]. Peace is actually a good thing, and his size is meaningless. Be careful whenever you are experimenting with anything that you are not familiar with, especially when it may blow up in your face[xx(]. Next time, get a second opinion.:)

Top Bottom