bullet finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi everyone,
I was wondering what I should use to finish some homemade 30-06 pens. I've read the tutorials and can't decide between leaving them natural or powder coating them with a clear coat. (don't have the stuff for powder coating yet.) Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

People are going to fall cleanly on one side of this fence or the other. I prefer to leave them natural. Others would never consider not powdercoating. Go with what you think is best.

MarkD

This is a very personal issue. Some people like the natural finish, but I have by far sold many more of the power coated bullet pens.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to leave them natural. I'll just include the instructions on how to repolish them when I sell them.

Thanks again.

Sylvanite

Some cartridge finishes (in rough order of durability) are:
  1. Bare brass
  2. Dipping lacquer
  3. Brass lacquer
  4. Duracoat
  5. Powdercoat
I've also seen (but haven't myself done) a CA finish.

I regularly powdercoat my bullet pen kits. It is the only clear finish I've found that adheres well to polished brass and will stand up to heavy wear. Duracoat will probably hold up to normal use. Anything else will chip or wear off in time - at which point it's basically bare brass again.

When I've offered customers the choice of bare brass or powdercoated cartridges at the same price, every single one has chosen powdercoated.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Ironwood

I like to powdercoat mine. I tried CA but had no luck applying it.

I gave one with a laquer finish (dipped) to a guy that helped me out, he is an Auto spraypainter. The finish didnt last long, so he stripped it off, and sprayed it with 2-pack clear at his work, it is holding up well. He carries the pen in his pocket everyday.

Top Bottom