Bullet Drilling question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Let me start off by saying that I am on dail up ----the files in the Libaray are to large to download---watching UTube is out of the question also.
I need to figure out how to drill a 308 bullet (not the case) and insert a 7 mm tube.
I have tried my Axeminster collet chuck and none of those collets are the right size to hold a bullet. then I turned and cut a collet out of wood to use in a chuck with finger jaws.
that held the bullet but the letter I drill distroyed the bullet.
I bought a couple hundred 308 hollow points and would like to put them to use.
Any one got a couple pics they could post???????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Let me start off by saying that I am on dail up ----the files in the Libaray are to large to download---watching UTube is out of the question also.
I need to figure out how to drill a 308 bullet (not the case) and insert a 7 mm tube.
I have tried my Axeminster collet chuck and none of those collets are the right size to hold a bullet. then I turned and cut a collet out of wood to use in a chuck with finger jaws.
that held the bullet but the letter I drill distroyed the bullet.
I bought a couple hundred 308 hollow points and would like to put them to use.
Any one got a couple pics they could post???????

Gary, Rick's 2007 cartridge tutorial is too large for you to down load??? His is probably the most consise file that I used to learn by.

When you say the "I" drill bit destroyed the bullet what do you mean??? Could you step drill and build your way up to that size???? You need to explain your actions abit more for more help.

bgibb42

I agree with drilling it in steps.

I've never drilled a bullet, but I might try this: Take a square block, say 2x2", and find the center by scribing lines from corner to corner. Then drill a hole in the center of the block just large enough to slip a bullet into and deep enough (but not all the way through) so that the bullet was flush with the top of the block. The scribed lines would act as a guide to find the center of the bullet.

Hope this helps.

JerrySambrook

Gary,
One of the problems could be the bullet you are using.
Some of the hollowpoints are extremely thin and fragile, and designed that way, in the tip area, if that is where your problem is occuring. You might be better off using a FMJ. which typically has an open bast, and is more solid in the tip area.

Jerry

Gary Max

I'm also a bit confused by exactly what you are trying to do. :confused:

In order to use a real bullet you must drill the end out and insert the 7 mm tube. The bullet will center and support the tube.
Does that make sense???????????
Or am I going about this the wrong direction???????

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I follow what your trying now. Not how I have been doing it but I see what you are trying to do. I think you will have a real head slapping moment after you get Roy's mail delivered.

jttheclockman

Actually Gary you don't drill the bullet out to fit the tube in, you let the tube sit on top of the bullet. If it is a boattail the fit is pretty close to rest on it nicely. If it is a flat top then you can just shape the top on a grinder or use your lathe and a skew or tool of choice to slant it so the tube fits on top. This helps center the tube at the nib section. The only drilling you do is for the refill to protrude. Hope that sounds good. The tutorial is a great one. That is the one I learned with.

Oh how I remember those days with dial up. What I used to miss out on.

lorbay

I see what Gary is trying to do, the tube is the right length for a 308 shell well almost. So what he is trying to do is fit the bullet over the tube ( right Gary) as said before some of us let the bullet sit up against the tube. That works fine if you are using a 30-06 for the tip end, but if you are using a 308 for the tip end you will either have to do what Gary is trying to do or cut the tube down to suit.

Lin.

Gary Max

Who me????? Never.......Not something I would do....well now that you brought it up:wink:

Roy ---you pay the postage and I will send you a couple Black Bakelite blanks. I am sure you have the paypal address---:eek:----:biggrin:
Can't sell them might as well give them away----or just keep them and make pens.

JerrySambrook

Gary,
The primer end of the case is drilled to fit, and then the tube is either glued or soldered in. If you are using .308 win, or 7.62x51 cases, you can also drill just the case and press the transmission into the case directly. The other cases, such as .300 win mag and .30-06 need the tube.
If you do it this way, then you need to support the case on the mouth of the case, using the bullet that is now a nib only to center the case.
I do this on my lathe with the collet chuck closed just enough to feel that you are silding the bullet into it, and then resting the case against the face of the collet itself.
I also drill on the lathe, by putting the case into the collet chuck deep enough so that the compression occurs just above the extraction groove. This area is called the web, and it typically solid brass for a sufficient distance.I do not tighten the collet chuck until I have brought a 60 degree center up to the case to ensure that the case is now concentric to the axis or rotation. I then do my drilling in steps, because I want the nicest finish on the brass I can get.
Once again, your bullets may also be a problem depending on who's they are.
If they are a good match bullet, then the tip area is VERY frangible, and very difficult to drill cleanly. You can typically see some lines extending back from the tip in the copper jacket. These are where the copper has been removed from the jacket originally, so as to create a smooth outside surface, and get a consistant wall for the uniformity need for match bullets.

I have probably now entered the TOO MUCH INFORMATION zone for what you are looking to get out of this.

If you want to discuss it more, you can pm me, and I will get back to you
Sincerely,
Jerry Sambrook

KenV

Gary -- a second of tutorials by Les Elm has details on how he flattens the tip of the bullets and drills out the tip. Cutting back the fine tip on the hollowpoint a bit will allow drilling through the bullet with the small bit. Les uses a fine file. The bullet is drilled with 4 drill bits (step drilling) with two bits from each end. He holds the bullet in a collet chuck (8MM works for me).

When Roy get ink for the printer, perhaps he can print and mail one of those to you. These tutorials are posted on William Youngs Board and in the Library on The Pen Shop.

I too remember dial up and all night downloads that glitched just before done.

workinforwood

What I do is I put the bullet in the pen vise with the tip pointing down. I drill just enough to open up the copper on the back side. The hole should way bigger than the refill, but not so big as to completely remove the back of the bullet. Once that is done to all the bullets, I then go turn on the bbq. Yes, you need to wear a respirator. With a pair long tweesers I hold the bullet over the flames and in about 15-20 seconds, all the lead will pour right out nice and fast. The lead can be scraped up and put into a jar, which can then be re-sold to reloaders..for me, I just give it to my uncle and he uses it for re-loading. Now that the bullet has no lead in it, you can just stick it back in the vise with the point facing down. Bring the appropriate drill bit down through the tip..this is the hole for the end of the refill. A quick touch to the end of the bullet on the belt sander will knock off any drill burr. Now you have to drill the fire pin side of the bullet..as you already know. With that done, you can press the bullet into the cartridge. After that, you drop in the tube. The tube will fall down into the neck of the cartridge and over top of the taper on the back side of the bullet. I like to rough up the inside of the tube where it will meet the bullet inside the cartridge and apply just a thin line of epoxy in there as well as a touch of epoxy where the tube and the top of the cartridge will meet. Any little scratches on the bullet or casing will sand out real easy..including the scorch marks from the BBQ.

PTownSubbie

Gary,

If I read your question correctly.....why not drill the back side of the bullet to the diameter of your pen refill and then just tenon the outside of the bullet so the 7mm tube aligns by inserting over the bullet.

Send me your email I have a 193K file I will send you. It is a PDF. Can you support that?

Top Bottom