bullet casing ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

matvoz

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the easiest way, without sacrificing quality, to get a 7mm slimline tube into a bullet casing. Would it work if a guy poured some poly resin into the casing and then drilled through the poly resin and glued/epoxied the tube to the PR? Of course the PR would have to dry before drilling into it. Any ideas on if this would work or not?

thanks

Matt Vosburg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I would say yes, but there are easier ways. I don't understand how quality can be sacrificed. The final pen will be as good as the parts you start with regardless how you adapt the parts to the cartridge. Try it and tell us what you find out. There are several ways to do what you want to do. Searching the archives will get you some helpful info. Check the tutorial on the homepage. Check the tutorials in the library.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by matvoz

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the easiest way, without sacrificing quality, to get a 7mm slimline tube into a bullet casing. Would it work if a guy poured some poly resin into the casing and then drilled through the poly resin and glued/epoxied the tube to the PR? Of course the PR would have to dry before drilling into it. Any ideas on if this would work or not?

thanks

Matt Vosburg

England14

I have been using long tubes held in place with tape and then soldered in then turned to clean them up and remove excess solder. I have also been drilling the inside of the tubes after messing one up from some solder that got inside the tube. When I first started thinking about cartages I bought some ready to assembly and they looked that they were glued in with gorilla glue or possible epoxy. I would suggest giving your ideal a try. Don't have much to lose and be just the ticket.

rob41

Hi Matt,

I have done a couple of cartridge pens with 7 mm European tubes. I am using 308 cartridges. I just drill the hole in the primer end (primer removed) and insert the drilled bullet tip in the cartridge. Once the cartridge is pressed in I insert the 7mm tube and glue it in the top with some CA. The bullet tip has a bow tail at the end that centers the tube. This seems to hold up well.

good luck

Rob

fernhills

Hi, i use an 8mm tube just a piece in the bullit end,first drill the primary end with 7mm bit.there is about a little bit better then 1/4" of hard metal that the 7mm tube will attach too.the 7mm tubes will go through the 8mm sleeve at bullit end..You have to use 7mm tubes that are long enough i buy 10" long ones and cut to fit,size cartridge i use is 30-6,i use new ones a lot easier to drill out primary and round is consistent when not fired..28.33$ for a 100 count at cabellas,cheap.Its easy once you know.. Carl

follow3

Hey Matt,

I tried a few filled with PR. It will work well, but you have to be DEAD ON ACCURATE with the 7 MM hole you drill. If it is off center at all it screws up the rest of the parts.

Give it a shot (no pun intended) and let us know what happens.

Steve

pssherman

I don't even use a tube with 308 casings. I drill out the primer end with a 1/4 inch bit, seat the bullet with a reloading press, clean it up, PC the casing/bullet then press in the transmission. The transmission is pressed only part way so I sometimes need to use a drop of CA to hold it better. Make the top a little longer than the upper tube and drill the overhanging end to provide clearance.

Paul in AR

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF you decide to try casting the PR in it, create a way to hold the bullet BEFORE you pour.

That sucker will get HOT!!!!!

Sylvanite

Originally posted by pssherman

I don't even use a tube with 308 casings.
I used to do the exact same thing with 308 Winchester caliber cartridges, but wound up going back to using a 7mm tube. I simply ran into too many transmissions that were slightly undersize. They press-fit into a tube ok, but wouldn't hold without glue in 1/4 inch hole.

Is this topic about using a 30-cal rifle case with a slimline nib, or about using a 30-cal case and drilled-out bullet for a nib?

In the first case (slimline nib), a 30-06 case requires a longer (euro-length) tube and a 308 case can use a standard slimline tube. Both will need something to hold the tube centered in the case mouth. Succesful methods (from using tape, to larger tubes, to solder) abound.

In the second case (bullet nib), a boat-tail bullet seated at the appropriate depth makes the regular slimline tube the right size for 30-06. 308 can be made to work either tubeless, with a slimline tube, or with a cut-down slimline tube.

Regards,
Eric

Tonto

Has anyone tried a 7-08 case? I need to measure the sized and unsized case mouth to see if it would accept a standard slimline nib w/o fuss, drill appropriate hole in primer end for pen mechanism and go from there. Has me curious. For those who prefer 30/06 sized brass, the 280 Remington is the same deal, the 30 caliber case sized to 7mm.

Sylvanite

Originally posted by Tonto

Has anyone tried a 7-08 case?
The 7mm/284 caliber cases are easier to use, because a standard 7mm slimline tube fits the case mouth without the need for any spacer.

Unfortunately, the outside diameter of the case mouth is typically 0.315-0.320", which is smaller in diameter than a slimline nib (which I measure at 0.330+"). That leaves one with a case mouth that is noticably shy of the nib. Compare that with 30-06 Spg (0.339") or 308 Win (0.343"). On these cartridges, the case mouth is slightly proud of the nib. Some penturners turn the neck down to match the nib, others leave it proud. Even if you leave it proud, it's a lot less noticable than shy.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom