Bullet ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gokartergo

What is the best way to hold the bullet for the drill press.. With out damaging it. I have tried a couple diffrent things.. I can't seem to hold it tight enough with out bending the case.. Thanks for any help... Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Hi Dan,
Here's what I use. It should work on most pen drilling jigs. Let me know if it will help and you have questions.

2007316184010_shell%20holding%20750.jpg
<br />

2007316184041_shell%20holding%20750%202.jpg
<br />

2007316184111_shell%20holding%20750%203.jpg
<br />

Woodlvr

Steve,
Do you use a special angle drill bit? I cannot remember then new degree numbered one, 130* or something like that? I guess it would not be correct to use a brad point would it? I worry that the brad point might make it harder to drill without moving the shell. I am getting ready to do some also. TIA.

Mike

gokartergo

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Looks like that would work fine for the cartridge.
However, that is not the bullet. Bullet is the projectile. Case is the cartridge.

I am sorry.. I stand corrected.. I did mean cartridge..LOL

stevers

Dan,
I use a standard ground bit, just make sure it is super sharp. i believe thats 118 degrees. I always get that and the 135 degrees one mixed up. It's the lesser angled one. It should take off long spring like shavings from the casing. I drill at a slow speed and pull the bit up a few times during the process to clear the shavings. Slow and easy.
I'll try to find some more picks and post them in a while. It's basically just a copy of this.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11476&filter=drilling%20jig
OK, now someone correct "me" on the drill bit angle.

cozee

Nothing fancy but here what I use to drill casings . Originally threw it together to do my first casings with intentions of coming up with something better. That was over 350 casings ago. I figure now, if it works don't fix it. Drill slow, light to medium pressure, and I use a bit lubricant for when brass warms up it can get grabby and it helps to keep the bit sharp.

200731724321_DRILL.jpg
[:D]

dfurlano

I use a large spot drill to start the hole. I do this because the primer is still in the casing and I need to overcome the firing pin indent. During the spot drilling the primer is drilled out and it creates a chamfer. I then go in the the final size drill. I set the speed and feed it I get a continuous ribbon off the drill bit.

drill.jpg

cozee

Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />Greg,
Do you use a specific angle drill bit? Thank you for showing us your jig.

Mike

I use regular ol' 118 degree jobber bits. I am a tad anal and designate a bit for a specific metal and that is all it drills. I am still using the 2 bits I started drilling casings with. I know this has been discussed in other threads but still, it cannot be stressed enough that one avoid heat as much as possible. Steve mentioned a good idea of periodically raising the bit from the casing. Anything to help keep the bit cool. Lubricants are a great asset in helping to keep your bits cool and in good cutting shape.

CountryPens

What size do you drill the Casing primer area ?

What drilling, if any is required at the Bullet end ?

Do you use a standard "SlimLine" Kit?

Is the tube the correct length for .308 casing ?

Thanks,

Lester

stevers

Cozee taught me to use 9/32. It works well, large enough, but not to loose.
No drilling at the nib end.
"I" use a standard slim kit. I guess color would be preferential.
The tube or the shell has to be trimmed depending on the casing (308, 30-06 etc)
The shell is easy to trim, it cuts quite easy with a good barrel trimmer. I will usually get it close with the disk sander first.
There are lots of tutorials out there. If you like, E-mail me and I'll send you one I have saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom