Building my inventory of blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pastors Pen

Having made some practice runs, using a drive center/dead center setup, I have yet to turn my first actual pen.
But, I have taken advantage of the time that I await my live center to arrive, I have managed to go through my lumber scraps and create a pretty good inventory of over 600 blanks. All of these are domestic, including Cherry (some highly figured), Chestnut, Cypress, Maple (some highly figured), Oak (both Red and White, some curly), Redwood, and Walnut.
I also have some "sentimental" woods: Some Walnut and Spruce from our old church building (I intend on using to make pens to sale to benefit our Missions Fund); Also, a Douglas Fir plank from the old bleachers in our local high school gym (I plan to make some pens for the Athletic Boosters to raffle off).
I have some slimline kits ordered, and hope to sell enough pens so that I can buy a Woodchuck Pen Pro, and build my inventory of pen kits. I am already looking at some of the group buys on here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I always had more luck selling comfort pens (without the rubber sleeve) than I did slims. Same kits just larger center band. You'll soon have more blanks than you can ever turn. The adiction starts.... Welcome from IL.

ldb2000

Welcome to the group . Take this time to use some of these blanks to practice a good finish . Friction finishes are easy but don't last very long . A good CA finish takes time to learn and since the blanks are round ....

Top Bottom